Can't restore/update iPhone 4 with my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by petrucci666, May 24, 2011.

1. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

I've had this problem for a while but as of lately it has started to become annoying.

So the problem is that I can't restore (or update) my iPhone 4 with my MBP but I CAN do it when I use my brother's MBP. And I have no idea why!

In the first few months of having the iPhone there were no problems, but starting with 4.3.1 and up, every time I'd try and update/restore - I'd get an error message that the phone was sent to recovery mode and that I should connect it to iTunes.

After connecting it to iTunes and trying to restore it again, I'd go through the same process and end up in the same place. It was just going in circles.

Then I took it to my brother's MBP, plugged it in, did a restore and voila - no problems whatsoever!

At the emergency screen, I'd take it back to my MBP and restore it from my backup and that would work fine.

But, sometimes I might not have access to another Mac, I mean most of the time I won't have access to another Mac other than my own, so how do I fix this?

MBP is running all the latest software, as is the iPhone as well.
    iTunes is up to date.

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

It is very likely that you used Tiny Umbrella to save your shsh at some point in the past. This will change your host file and will cause problems with restore from apple in the future.

To fix your problem open Tiny umbrella, go to advance mode uncheck the box that says set host file to Cydia on exit and close tiny umbrella.

You should then be good to go. You can change the host file directly but it will be reset everytime you open tiny umbrella and the problem will come back. This is the only way to do a long term fix.

3. petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

I did what you said and hopefully it'll work next time I restore it!