Can't Restore Windows 7 Winclone Image

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mjwatt29, Mar 25, 2011.

1. mjwatt29 macrumors newbie

mjwatt29

Hello:

I just recently bought a new MacBook pro (10.6.7) and am trying to restore a winclone (2.2) windows 7 image (31Gb, stored on a external HD) to a new bootcamp partition (110Gb, MS-DOS (FAT32)), and when I mount the image and attempt to restore, I get the following error:

=====restoring image from disk image=============

"/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfsclone" --rescue -f -f -f -O "/dev/disk0s3" /dev/disk3 1>&2
    ntfsclone v2.0.0 (libntfs 10:0:0)
    ERROR(16): Opening '/dev/disk3' as NTFS failed: Resource busy
    return value of "/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfsclone" --rescue -f -f -f -O "/dev/disk0s3" /dev/disk3 1>&2 is 256

"/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfsclone" --rescue -f -f -f -O "/dev/disk0s3" /dev/disk3 1>&2 did not complete successfully
    cleaning up: Mounting Disk
    Volume BOOTCAMP on /dev/disk0s3 mounted
    Fri Mar 25 14:45:36 PDT 2011

Also, I have attempted to restore, and it did work once, but then when I tried to boot up windows, I got an error command screen (black and white) stating that there were problems. So I tried the following:

1. Put the windows 7 disk in and boot from disk, clicked repair computer
    2. Selected try to start normally.
    3. Selected other start options (safe, etc.)

Nothing seems to fix the problem here.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here? This should be a simple restore, but I've read the forums and I can't seem to find a solution.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Your problem is that you formatted it as FAT32, which win7 doesn't like. What you need to do is create the partition with Boot Camp Assistant like before, but when it asks if you want to go to the installer, say no. Then use winclone to restore on that partition. I don't believe that it gets formatted in that process.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It does, as FAT32. That's not the problem.

B

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Gotcha, didn't know that.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sorry for the short answer. Was posting from my phone, and it sounds my post seems a bit rude re-reading it.

Some other process is getting in the way. In a previous thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11731359&postcount=26 some Western Digital software was responsible.

mjwatt29, can you post the full Winclone.log as an attachment. I was able to suss it out in that other case given the full log file.

B

6. mjwatt29 thread starter macrumors newbie

mjwatt29

Not rude at all, and thanks for the quick responses! MacRumors Forums are really helpful.

Thanks for the first reply, I checked the bootcamp format, which is indeed NTSF.

I was able to get the winclone image to restore finally (not mounting the image in winclone seems to fix that), but....

....now, when I try to restart in W7, I get a command screen saying that there are errors, which I tried to repair with the W7 installation disk to no avail. So, essentially, the restore seemed to work, but there is some type of issue with the image.

I also should mention that the clone was from another macBook that I'm trying to install in my new MacBook Pro (i7 quad).

I've attached the winclone log as a .txt file (it's rather long).

Anymore thoughts?

Attached Files:

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

We're beyond Winclone now it would seem.

Which Macbook was it that you took the image from? Windows doesn't usually like being relocated to new hardware (without SYSPREP) but when the machines are similar enough you might be able to get away with it.

B

8. mjwatt29 thread starter macrumors newbie

mjwatt29

Shoot.

I saw an earlier post about that.

The image was taken from a late 2008, black MacBook with a 2.4Ghz, and I'm trying to copy it to my new MacBook Pro i7 2.0 quad.