Can't return iPhone 4 order from Internet to store?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by komugi, Jun 24, 2010.

1. komugi macrumors newbie

So I called Apple Support, I was having issues with the screen/antenna/no signal as well as some cosmetic issues on the back. They told me they'll schedule an appointment with Apple Store, which I went to.

I've tried to exchange the store, but they told me that they cannot take internet order exchanges otherwise they'll need to charge me full price for the exchange. I will need to take it up with Apple Support.

So I call Apple Support, they tell me that I in order to exchange with them, since they're on backorder. I will need to return it, call AT&T about some contract crap otherwise they'll charge me 699$ for the phone before I can place another order. Since they are prohibiting exchanges at the moment.

This is getting to be quite the bs

2. TexasBlake macrumors member

TexasBlake

Did you expect them to have a spare unit for every one they sold?

3. komugi thread starter macrumors newbie

No, but I didn't expect such bs about having to run around calling Apple/AT&T again and again. And then telling me I can't exchange until at least mid-July.

4. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

So you did not expect to have to return the item to the place you bought it from if you had a problem with it?

That seems slightly unreasonable on your part.

5. TexasBlake macrumors member

TexasBlake

So, what you're saying is you wanted them to have an extra phone just for you then?

Someone has a case of "the specials". :p

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

That was not my experience today. While I was told they could not exchange my defective online store ordered phone w/ a new boxed retail phone, they did have no-box iPhone inventory specifically to exchange for defect units. They were new, just no box. That is what they gave me to replace my yellow splotch iPhone.

Maybe the store you visited didn't have any of these replacement phones? If you have multiple Apple stores nearby maybe call up the Genius Bar and ask if they have replacement inventory.

7. komugi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, will try that.

8. komugi thread starter macrumors newbie

Again, it's not the problem of having an extra phone or not, its that they do NOT allow exchanges AT ALL. And I am getting the run around saying I have to do a full return, talk to AT&T about my contract, and THEN place another order instead of just putting in the system that I want an exchange and ship it whenever the have stock.

Don't put words in my mouth.

9. monksealpup macrumors regular

This. My first iPhone 3G and 3GS (both on launch day) had issues (dead pixels + broken vibrator motor respectively). They keep new, replacement phones in back for just such problems. They swap your SIM and document the hardware exchange. It comes in a ******** white cardboard box with like bubble wrap in it, but it is otherwise a brand new phone. You're expected to use your charger, cables, headphones, etc. from the commercial box that housed your broken iPhone.

I would imagine each store probably gets 5-10 on launch day? There can't be THAT many hardware replacement issues to field immediately.