Can't return iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anjinha, Aug 26, 2008.

1. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I bought an iPhone a week ago. I love it and I love apple but it's not working as it I expected it: I get a lot of dropped calls, safari crashes, a lot of lagging among another issues.

I went to the store I where I bought it to return it. Here in Portugal you can by law return any electronic equipment you buy within 30 days of purchase.

So I went to the store to return it and they didn't let me. The iPhone and accessories are all impecable with no scratches but they said there's an apple policy that says people can't return iPhones, they can only send them for repairs.

Is this legal? What can I do?

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

You are contradicting yourself. Either there is a law that says you can return any electronic equipment you buy within 30 days of purchase, or there isn't.

3. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Search online and look for your country's version of Trading Standards (UK).

They basically govern how product support should be dealt with here, for example, how a warranty should work, and the customers' rights etc.

Print off evidence that Portugal does have this 30-day policy, even on contracted mobile phones.

Don't leave the store until its done, if you're in the right.

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

What is your phone carrier's policy? In the US with ATT you have 30days no questions asked return policy. Apple standard policy is 14 days for returns.

5. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Is this an Apple Store? Hard to believe they won't give you a refund.

If there's a law they are breaking, let them know. Show them a copy of the law they are breaking and ask to speak to a Manager.

6. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

Vodafone.

7. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

How am I contradicting myself?

8. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

It's not in an Apple Store. Unfortunately the only Apple Store here is too far away for me.

9. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Except for the iPhone 3G. It's also 30 days from Apple.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Because you said it was a law then asked if it was legal. In other words, you made a statement to which you expressed as fact, and then questioned the very legality of the whole thing.

11. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I'm not sure on the laws however they should at least exchange it for a new one?

12. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

They won't exchange it either. They will only send it for repair but that takes too long and I'll be without a phone.

13. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

Is it possible that apple's return policy is different in Portugal?

14. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Almost certainly. Policies like this are aligned to local conditions. I'd also note that, at least in the UK, Apple's own policy only applies if you buy directly from Apple. Buy from a third-party and it's their policy, not Apple's.

The above advice is best: get local advise. We don't know what the law in Portugal is...

15. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

The store policy is you can return electronic equipment within 30 days but they said they couldn't return it because it was apple's policy that you couldn't return iPhones if the box was open. The thing is it was the salesman who opened the iPhone's box in the store, not me.

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

So it's store policy, not a law? You need local advise who know what your rights are. We have Trading Standards and/or Citizens Advice here in the UK: I suggest you find your local equivalent and talk to them.

17. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

I just checked the law. By law I have 15 day return policy (my mistake) and by that store I have a 30 day return policy. But can they refuse to return my iPhone because the box is opened when it was the salesman who opened it?