Can't rip a DVD to my Mac...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xTRIGGER092x, Mar 11, 2014.

1. xTRIGGER092x macrumors regular

Jul 21, 2011
    I have a memorial DVD that I need to copy to some blank DVDs for family, but I'm having the damnedest time trying to rip it. Handbrake refuses to cooperate; even after downloading the "libdvdcss.pkg", trying to found a source results in "No Valid Source Found." VLC won't even play it, let alone rip it, giving me a host of errors:

The contents of the DVD may be of use; the title is "1401030800.iso", with two folders inside: "OpenDVD" and "VIDEO_TS". "OpenDVD" contains files titled "Clickme.htm" (saying it was created with Adobe Premiere Pro), "opendvd.pvm", and "Untitled.dvd"; "VIDEO_TS" is empty as far as I can tell.

Additionally, the DVD only seems to play in the Apple DVD Player application; on my secondary computer running Windows 8.1, it wouldn't play in VLC (giving me the same errors) nor Windows Media Player. So, I'm stumped; hopefully someone can help.
  2. mtngoatjoe macrumors regular

Jun 10, 2008
    Is the disc scratched?

Can you make a disc image via Disc Utility? If so, you should be able to burn the image to new DVDs.

This process should be close to what you need to do.

If it works, I would test the first disc in different players to see if it works. Maybe it will play better once it's on a new disc.

If that doesn't work, keep trying to get Handbrake to work. A LOT of people use it to rip DVDs, but it can be a bit wonky at time.

And failing that, I would try burning from a different DVD drive/computer. Some DVD drives just don't tolerate even the smallest scratch or smudge.