Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyturbouk

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Hi all

I have a 2011 MBP 17" 8GB RAM 120gb SSD in the HDD position and i have placed the stock 7200rpm 500GB in the optibay.

The superdrive is placed in a USB enclosure.

So having not used my superdrive for the past few weeks, i thought i would use handbrake to rip one of my dvds onto my hdd - as i plan on transferring all my dvds onto my external hdd and place my dvds into storage.

I connected the extn dvd drive, via x2 USB
fired up handbrake - the disk is mounted
when handbrake tries to rip the disk, after selecting the VIDEO TS folder, it says scanning source 1/32 and then remains like this for some time - upto an hour without progressing.

I then quit handbrake, launched VLC to play the dvd and again, the disk is recognized, i ask VLC to play the dvd, it plays the copyright bit at the start and then crashes!

I tried for several different DVDs - all yielding the same results!
Popcorn recognises the dvd but will not allow me to rip it as it is copy protected!

I tried to copy the video TS folder to my HDD, but got the following error:

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “VTS_01_0.VOB” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36)

If anyone has any solutions i would be much obliged

thanks

After scouring MRoogle and google, i am wondering if anyone has any suggestions!

johnnyturbouk

macrumors 68000
Original poster
yes as mentioned in my OP, i tried using handbrake to no avail,

i can not even play a dvd in osx

interestingly, the problems are not reproducible in windows 7, which recognises my external superdrive fine and plays videos fine

the problem exists in SL when playing/ripping DVDs from my external dvd drive

i really do not want to have to place the superdrive back

before making the optibay mod i was able to rip/read dvds absolutely fine

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
solved it..

i removed and re-installed handbrake 64 v.9.5 (i had the older version)
then re-attached the superdrive using the x2 usbs port closest to the power-adapter

re-started SL and now all is fine

phew....:D

I hate to bump such an old thread, but I'm actually having the same problem. And uninstalling handbreak doesn't seem to help...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.