Can't rip...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Philly, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Philly macrumors member

Hi Guys,

I am currently making a reel for my girlfriend of all her footage from jobs and shows she's done (she's a dancer).
    The footage from her more prestigious jobs has to be ripped from DVD's and so far i was doing ok. But I have come up against a DVD which I just cannot rip. I have tried;

Handbrake
    Mac The Ripper
    Fairmount
    DVD2OneX2

It just won't rip.

Can anybody suggest anything a little "stronger"...?

Failing that, is it the case that DVD's have different protection depending on which country they originate from?

Thank you for any help,

Philly

2. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

You might want to try ripit
    http://ripitapp.com/

The out put from ripit is actually a media file not a video_ts folder.
    You have to right click or control click, and chose show package contents. To retrieve the video_ts folder

What kind of dvd's are they. Only commercial movies like from major studios use copy protection.

3. Philly thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much for your reply. I will try your suggestion tonight.

It's a Madonna DVD, on a Warner label. I've had trouble before with commercial DVD's but this is hands down the worst yet.

I will let you know how I get on.

Regards,

Philly

4. Philly thread starter macrumors member

Ok, well that seemed to have less luck than all the rest. RipIt seems to think the DVD is dirty or scratched. The disk is spotless and plays fine so I assume RipIt just can't read it...

What do you think?

5. huntercr macrumors 65816

This might sound like a strange question, but
    you've verified that you can play the DVD just fine in the Mac, right?

6. Philly thread starter macrumors member

Well thats actually a good point. I can't recall whether i have played it on the computer I am trying to burn it on (and i'm away from home at the moment). I do know for sure that it plays perfectly well on my DVD player though.
    I may or may not have played it on my G4. I just can't remember so I will try it the moment I get back. I can be sure that it does play DVD's without any problem though, and also successfully ripped footage of her (my girlfriend) from another commercial DVD just a couple of days ago.

7. Philly thread starter macrumors member

Well it's been a while since I started this but I had to go away with work so, sorry for the late reply.

I think I have solved my problem. It would seem that it was a region issue. My girlfriends mac is American and set to region 1 whereas mine is set to 2. The DVD is region 1. I hadn't thought it made any difference when trying to rip a DVD, but it seems it does. It ripped from hers with no problems. ...so there you go, I learned something new, if not very simple.

I feel a bit of an idiot, but I felt I should still post my result. And thank you for any help.

It ripped fine with Mac The Ripper and then Mpeg Stremclip.

Thank you.