can't run disk permission on any HD except macintosh HD?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Keebler, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi there,

I'm trying to back some files on an external hard drive, but I keep getting error code -50. I haven't been able to find much on Google or Apple's support boards :(

One suggestion was to repair disk permissions on that disk. I have about 12 externals (a few seperate ones, but 8 in an esata enclosure - not raided).

I can't repair permissions on any of them except for my system's Macintosh HD.

I'm sure I've repaired other disk permissions before? I'm a little confused.

I'm on Lion 10.7.3

I could tuck my files on a different external, but I'm trying to be the good boy and keep everything where it should be :)

Cheers,
    Keebler

2. iMarc845 macrumors member

iMarc845

If I recall correctly, you can only Repair Permissions on the startup drive. For a persmissions problem with an external drive, mount it, select the drive icon, do a "Get Info..." then authenticate as an Admin and adjust the permissions there. Don't forget to check the "Apply to enclosed items" box.

Or you could just check the "Ignore ownership on this volume" box. That's what I do for my external drives that only have archived folders.

Hope this helps.