Can't run Java

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jojoba, Apr 21, 2013.

1. jojoba macrumors 68000

I'm getting increasingly frustrated with Java on my mac. At the moment, it's not working at all and I can't access my internet bank, can't order cinema tickets, and can't hand in my taxes.

Is anyone else having problems? What do I need to do to make this work?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Run Software Update, I checked yesterday, there is a new one, Apple might have blocked the old one again.

And, complain to your bank, no bank should be running Java, well for clients that is.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes that is odd...I have accounts with two of the major banks, and another back home in the states...Not one of them uses Java....OP: if your bank really is using it I would complain...the potential exploits are well documented, and I wouldn't want to use internet banking if Java was used for accessing my accounts.

4. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

I ran/installed an update a couple of days ago, and it's since then I've had problems again. I just double checked and there are no new updates available now.

Yes, most of the internet banks here run Java, in spite of the issues... :mad:

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Probably Norway, Sweden or Finland, every time Java is blocked by Apple we get those people complaining here and rightfully so, but I and plenty more people think Java for banking clients should not be used.

6. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, Norway. I'm all with you, it just feels out of my power (apart from complaining to the bank, of course, but any change seems unlikely).

I fiddled around a bit and it works now - not sure what I did wrong yesterday and this morning, but I could access the stuff I need.

Thanks guys :)

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I just looked at one of my accounts....it even gives details about potential Java exploits and how to avoid them.....They even provide free software for Windows users....I guess there isn't any harm revealing the name of the bank...it's Lloyds. I find it amazing that any bank is using Java at all...You have to jump through 3 screens of security hoops and enter a whole bunch of password related stuff just to log in. Three strikes and you're out, and you have to contact the bank and re-set everything.....a process that can take 2 weeks.

At least I know I'm pretty safe.

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Maybe you should think about writing the bank a letter and say what you think about this stupid Java requirement, doubt it will make a difference though, but if no Norwegians complain it will never change.
    You are on a Mac which is kinda secure, what about all those Norwegian people with Windows and Java.
    Java is cheap, what I mean by this is it is cheaper for them because it is cross platform, if they run Java on their systems it's their business but they should not force you into installing Java.
    I have it disabled for a long time, lucky me, my bank works fine without it.

----------

My bank uses a random reader, without a random reader, pin code and the card you can't access the site at all, very secure.

9. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

10. justperry macrumors 604

justperry