Can't run some games on 12" MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Gmouse, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Gmouse macrumors regular

I run BioShock Infinite and Batman Arkham City on my 27" Retina iMac, and in setting up my new MacBook, I downloaded them from the App Store Purchases Tab.

BioShock Infinite doesn't run at all, and Batman comes up with the splash screen and that's it. I have tried deleting and redownloading. I also downloaded Doom 3 and Quake 4, and they run fine (albeit VERY low screen rates at highest settings).

Some compatibility issue or something?

Thanks.

2. Queen6, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Why Core M will never deal with such "heavyweights" even if you can get them up and running they will play like slideshows :p

Q-6

3. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

4. Gmouse thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. I figured I'd have to lower settings, but, that they would still run. Only requirement on the App Store page is OS X 10.8.3 or later.

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I won't type out the response that I really want to as you don't deserve it. Those game aren't going to run on your Core M MacBook. Check out the minimum specs that the game devs put out instead of what it says in the app store.

6. Gmouse thread starter macrumors regular

Well...actually, it runs, and runs well at 1024x768 windowed low settings (even with medium settings). After entering an incident with Aspyr, got a list of issues, and for not running it said I had to logon to Game Center (I have NEVER used Game Center on my iMac/iPhone/iPad in past). So I did, and rebooted...and now they both run.

7. ZipZap macrumors 601

See the grow-ups here aren't always right.

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Good you resolved with Aspyr, equally I wouldn't want to play at these resolutions personally, would like to be up to around 1440x900 or better. may look at Doom 3, Amnesia & CubeMen when I have more time. try cooling the base of the rMB, likely it will help with frame rates.

Q-6

9. Wallabe, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015

Wallabe macrumors 6502a

Battlefield on Macbook.

One day, we will be able to play FPS like this at 120FPS, 4K resolution, ultra settings, on a fanless laptop. Today is not that day.

10. Gmouse thread starter macrumors regular

I wouldn't play at these resolutions, either, just was trying different things to see what works. Both of them, at full scale, with not all video options max'd out, do play these games OK. I tried Doom 3 fully max video options, and was getting maybe 10 fps, but, with slightly lesser settings, got above 35 fps.

11. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

They play fine on a 2014 Macbook Air "Ultimate" 11" .... but there's a bunch of people trying to defend their purchase, saying the rMB is as fast or faster as last year's Air. It's simply NOT true, and the machine is inferior in every way aside from the screen. I am getting closer and closer to going to a MBA or a rMBP by the moment. I regret spending $1600 + $180 on accessories for this silly toy of a machine they call the rMB. :-(

12. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

You're making it well known, too! Sell it. :)

Why respond at all?

13. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Yeah, going up to PortLandOfNoTax in two weeks, so still mulling over what I want to do. I want the size of the Air with the screen of the rMB, but with the performance of the air, and the battery life of the Air... ugh. I'm just afraid the rMBP would be a boat anchor going from Air to rMB to rMBP. And I'm afraid the screen on the Air will make me sick after having the rMB. Ugh, dilemma. I'm just so annoyed at this rMB... it's such a tired old dog in a supermodel costume.... grrrrr LOL

14. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I recall trying to help you out in your original thread. I still say get a 13'' rMBP, but that's just me.

15. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I guess they're abundant, so maybe I'll go to the store and buy one, then try it for a week. My existing rMB would have to be ebay'd anyhow so no rush to sell it... and if the rMBP is a "beast" I could just return it, ehh?

16. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

There's literally nothing the other notebook lines offer in comparison other than portability. I'm sure you're aware of this.

Isn't 3.5lbs portable already?

17. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Thx, I don't play very often, equally it`s good to know that the rMB can play some of the older games like Doom 3 at a reasonable resolution and frame rate is ok.

Q-6

18. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Yeah 3.5 lbs is portable, but it's kind of like if you're used to driving a sub-compact then rent a standard or mid-size, it feels like you're driving a boat. It's all relative.

19. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Remind me why we are trying to game on the rMB again?? Is this an academic exercise or are we seriously getting disappointed in a Broadwell core M fanless design laptop not being a gaming machine?

20. naujoks macrumors 6502

naujoks

I've just finished a little sesh playing Batman on the rMB.
    Sure, it's not got the frame rates that one would want, but it's not a slide show either. Playable. And if you like that game, like I do, and you fancy playing it on a machine that you can have in your briefcase then frame rates are secondary.
    I'm really quite impressed with this little thing.

21. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Me, I am looking forward to playing System Shock 2 from circa 1999. A good game never ages, irrespective of the visuals. If a game can draw you in, you won't care how it looks, it`s about how it plays

Q-6

22. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

A 13" MBP won't fit in your briefcase? Or a Macbook Air?

23. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Why would he buy a 13" MBP when he already has a 15" MBP? Assuming there are different use cases and situations for that in his case given the devices in his sig.

24. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Just to touch back on this, finally found time to install and try out System Shock 2 on my 1.2 rMB. Runs beautifully, although System Shock 2 harks from circa 1999, the version I play has many upgrades/mods that vastly improve the graphics over the original release, while retaining the deep and at times terrifying gameplay. My MacBook runs it perfectly; frame rates are solid, temperatures are reasonable (1440x900) and the audio is awesome for such a small system.

If you are into Sci-Fii, horror, survival, FPS, RPG System Shock 2 has it all all and much more. Obviously the graphics are dated in comparison to the latest titles, equally for gameplay, storyline and amazing soundscape System Shock is still a truly relevant game that is both challenging, absorbing and unforgiving. System Shock 2 runs in a compatibility layer (Wineskin) on OS X and is available from GOG, for those with rMBP`s, be prepared for silent fans :)

n.b. I tend to raise the rear of my rMB for ergonomics, playing with the Notebook on a pillow etc will significantly reduce the passive cooling efficiency, likely result in throttling, reduced frame rates etc.

Q-6

25. Sprockethead macrumors newbie

Just need to point out the irony of dismissing the macbook as a toy because it won't play a game. :) Computers that play games well are not toys... or just better toys?