Can't save any files!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noah_c, Nov 1, 2015.

1. noah_c macrumors newbie

Hi all

Im on a macbook Pro mid 2009 Core 2 Duo 2.53, running Yosemite and am having this permissions problem where I can't save anything or create new folders. I get this error message "unexpected error (error code -50)" Safari is also bugged as it displays a security trust certificate. Repairing permissions in safe mode temporarily sorts this issue out, but not for long.

The first obvious thing I could think of was the hard drive was tired. So I installed a new SSD, I though the problem was over, but after about 4 days the error message is back!!!

What do people think? Is it time to finally get a new computer? Or could this be a separate hardware problem? or perhaps my old machine just doesn't like Yosemite any more?? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Noah

2. techedude macrumors regular

Just download and reinstall Yosemite from the App store. Nothing will be erased and the corrupted file system will be fixed.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Try creating a new user account, perhaps your existing one got corrupted.

4. noah_c thread starter macrumors newbie

This didn't work. I formatted hard drive and reinstalled, same problem! What could it be?

5. techedude macrumors regular

Did you restore from a backup after the fresh install? Try using disk utility to repair permissions and verify the disk.

6. noah_c thread starter macrumors newbie

Things I have tried:
    – Repaired permissions
    – Verified hard drive
    – Wiped hard drive and installed latest Yosemite.
    – Wipe HD and installed Mavericks from remote disk

I get errors before restoring anything from Time Machine. I get about an hour of usage now before errors. The only thing I have restored is i-cloud.

7. noah_c thread starter macrumors newbie

I have just made a new user account, I will see if the error still appears!!!

8. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

did you try maflynn's idea? try a test user account, that will tell you a lot about the problem (if it's 'global' it will still happen; if it's related to your account, it should be ok...). start there, best idea yet...

9. noah_c thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is, a new user account is created every time I re-instal OSX, and the problem still occurs. I have just created a new one, so lets see if this lasts...

10. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

we're talking about a second account, ie a 'test' account. virgin territory. not connected to your files, your user library. go to system preferences, create a new admin account (in Users & Groups). then log into that account, see what happens.

11. noah_c thread starter macrumors newbie

Same problem under different user after an hour os use!!

12. chabig macrumors 68040

I think we are not getting the whole story. You've probably done something you aren't supposed to do. You've said you're creating new users every time you reinstall. That's a problem right there, because the user you create won't have permission to manipulate files created by the user you already had. When you reinstall, don't create any new user account. Just migrate your old accounts over.

13. noah_c thread starter macrumors newbie

14. noah_c, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015

noah_c thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. I presumed that that If I re-format a brand new hard drive, and reinstall OSX from a fresh and start again as it were, without migrating anything from time machine, then effectively, nothing from my old account/back up is creating this problem?

15. noah_c thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys

Does anyone else have any ideas? I feel like I have tried everything to my knowledge now.

16. noah_c thread starter macrumors newbie