Can't "save as" .mp3 file on safari

med5000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
Hey guys

I'm using safari right now and I'm trying to save a song I like with quicktime, but I can't find the last drop-down menu button that I used to have on my quicktime bar... Where I could chose "save as"...

What happened ? What can I do ?

Here's a pick if you don't get my problem

BTW : yes I'm using quicktime pro

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
Hmmm, I just got this problem with Safari 5, I just assumed it was a recent thing because they've replaced all the internet media players with the Quicktime X look & feel.

Not being able to save off a file you've actually downloaded and cached seems really silly. Not particularly good for web developers and the like... No wonder I'm still using Firefox! :rolleyes:

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hmmm, I just got this problem with Safari 5, I just assumed it was a recent thing because they've replaced all the internet media players with the Quicktime X look & feel.

Not being able to save off a file you've actually downloaded and cached seems really silly. Not particularly good for web developers and the like... No wonder I'm still using Firefox! :rolleyes:
If the mp3 file in on a page that looks identical to the one posted above, then copy the link and paste it in this great little app:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/24364/download-queue

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
das Fort
Does the page URL end in ".mp3" or ".mov" or something similar? If so, you can download it by option-clicking on a link pointing to that page.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
Does the page URL end in ".mp3" or ".mov" or something similar? If so, you can download it by option-clicking on a link pointing to that page.
True, but if you don't have that href tag available then you have to create a custom HTML page locally, launch it and right-click on the link you just created. Again, bit bizarre you have to go to all this trouble when they could've just allowed "Save As..." in the browser. :rolleyes:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks, but spending $19 on something I can do using a web proxy is a bit silly. I would like to know why they've removed this ability in Safari though!
It would help if you posted a link to a file you're referring to, but you should be able to download the file from the Activity window in Safari.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
It would help if you posted a link to a file you're referring to, but you should be able to download the file from the Activity window in Safari.
I don't have the link anymore I'm afraid, anyway like I mentioned I just downloaded it in Firefox.

How do you download the file from the Activity Window? I copied the URL from the Activity Window and pasted it into the location bar, but it just opened up an MP3 player in the browser without the "Save As...".

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I don't have the link anymore I'm afraid, anyway like I mentioned I just downloaded it in Firefox.

How do you download the file from the Activity Window? I copied the URL from the Activity Window and pasted it into the location bar, but it just opened up an MP3 player in the browser without the "Save As...".
Try double clicking the link in the Activity Monitor rather than copying it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

When you open a site like YouTube or any site that has a large multimedia file, click Window > Activity and you can locate the file by the Status column, which will show something like "1.23MB of 5.68MB". Option+double-click the file name to download that file:
Picture 4.jpg

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
When you open a site like YouTube or any site that has a large multimedia file, click Window > Activity and you can locate the file by the Status column, which will show something like "1.23MB of 5.68MB". Option+double-click the file name to download that file:
Brilliant, result... Thanks! :D :p

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
GGJstudios: What file are you trying it with? For example, take the URL of this page you are on, try pasting that in. Does that work?
That's exactly what I did. Copied from the address bar while watching the video and pasted to Downloads window. No luck.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ah, yeah, well that is a Youtube page, eh? Only works if you have the exact URL of the file - like, say, an .mp3 file or .mov file.
... which is rarely the case. Usually the item to be downloaded is embedded on a web page, which is why using the Activity window works for that scenario.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.