All iPads Can't save images from web on iPad mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by slitherjef, Dec 7, 2013.

1. slitherjef macrumors regular

Just wondering why I only get the option to "Copy" when holding down on an image in the web (I am using Atomic web browser now, but I have seen this in Chrome and Safari too). There is no option to save the image, share etc. Only copy which, does nothing really.

Is this because there is no file system in iOS?

I am interested in pulling weather model maps off of twisterdata.com for sharing via twitter or g+ or something and or archiving some model pages.

This is not a 100% requirement to do, but would be really nice.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Some sites protect their images to disallow downloading. They do this in the html code. Try another site as a test. When you hold down on an image is should give you the option to save to your Camera Roll.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can save images from sites if the site allows it. I've saved many images from the web on my iPad Mini.

4. TheAnvil macrumors regular

Just copy and paste them to the likes of Evernote or even email/iMessage them to yourself.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Frequently, sites that restrict saving also restrict copying. You could make a screen shot, but the resolution wouldn't necessarily be the same or acceptable.

6. TheAnvil macrumors regular

As the OP said, he can copy but not save.

And taking a screenshot is a great idea, too.

7. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

I think it's because the image you want to save is a clickable map, so when you tap on it, it selects it as an HTML element, which you can only copy, but not save.

8. slitherjef thread starter macrumors regular

I suspected this may be one of the issues, the image is clickable. Not only that it seems to have different URLS for different areas.

On my android devices, it don't care, it will give me the option to save the whole image and not only that, I can even have chrome load the image in a new window without the sounding points.

Let me try to save the MR logo on the mini...

yeah, on the MR home page I press and hold on the App store icon in the first article and it only gives me the option to copy.

Yeah, there is the screenshot workaround but it is that, a workaround. Seems any image that is a link it will not allow me to save. Bummer.

9. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Hmm, strange, I get both Save and Copy for that App Store icon, on my rMini. Try to reboot?

10. slitherjef thread starter macrumors regular

I loaded up safari and it gave me the option to save / copy the app store icon.

I can make Atomic ID itself as Desktop mobile ipad safari but it still only allows me copy. Perhaps I need to clear the caches.

I was able to hit up twisterdata.com under the RAP tab, the first image, I was able to get it to Save image or copy, I needed to change the map mode on the website like dProg / dt in the little drop down menu.

I found the image in my camera roll under today. Atomic still will not give me the option to save, even having it ID it self as desktop safari.

Well crud, LOL.

11. Cell-666 macrumors 6502

Easy way round this. Screen shot and then crop? Zoom into the image so it's as big as it will go of you can :)