Can't save to external harddrive unless saving to Desktop & copying: 1 account only

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kirstysan, Mar 21, 2008.

1. kirstysan macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've been trying to solve this for hours and have had no luck.

Basically, I have an external harddrive connected to my iMac. In my account, it appears on the desktop, as well as in the list of drives when choosing where to save files within a program, and everything is fine.

However, in my Mum's account on the same computer, the external drive only appears on the desktop. It doesn't show up in the list of places that a document can be saved from within a program, or in the list of drives and folders when opening the "Macintosh HD" drive from the desktop. It is a writable disk, and from the same account it's possible to save items to the drive when copying them across on the desktop, but this is frustrating, especially when copying over large movie files.

Does anyone know why this could be, and how to make the drive available? Both are administrator accounts.

Thanks for your help... let me know if the question is too confusing.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Have you checked the permissions?

Right click on the HD icon, choose get info and make sure that the permissions on your Mum's account are the same as on your account.

3. kirstysan thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have checked permissions on the drive and have read/write access on both accounts.