Can't screenshot, open Skype, delete files, open itunes....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by delab99, Dec 18, 2013.

1. delab99 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping someone can help with this.

I'm running a Macbook Pro with Mountain Lion and recently put in SSHD Hybrid drive. I did a clean install and moved all my files over from my external drive. Everything was running smooth until after a few days when all of a sudden I couldn't take screenshots or delete files (error code -50), or even access Skype or itunes. When I reboot, the problem goes away, but then comes back again after a while.

So I reformatted a second time, did another clean install. But it's happening again.

Can anyone help shed some light on this?? I work with photoshop and music and I'm unable to do any work this month :(

Thanks in advance.

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

3. delab99 thread starter macrumors newbie

OSX journaled. Just how you would format a regular hard drive for mac

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

It wasn't the case sensitive option was it? I know that can cause issues.

5. delab99 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, just the normal Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

6. chown33 macrumors 604

If you use a non-SS plain old HD instead of the SSHD, does the problem reappear?

Exactly which model of SSHD did you install?

If you launch Disk Utility.app and choose First Aid, then click the "Verify Disk" button, does the SSHD show any problems at all? (Do this from the Recovery partition, not the main OS one.)

If it does, copy and paste them here. DO NOT click either of the "Repair" buttons at this time.

7. delab99 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a new Seagate 1TB SSHD Hybrid Drive.

I can't access disk utility when the problem starts happening (like now). Let me restart and try again, cos it normally goes away for a little while. Should be able to check it then. Hang on

8. chown33 macrumors 604

Thanks for the info.

Have you done any research (simple googling) on an unexpectedly high early-failure rate for that drive? "Several days" is just about how long I'd expect to start seeing early failures.

I'm asking because I want to see if there's any accumulated file-system damage, which would have occurred in the past, when disk-writes started misbehaving. If there's damage, it will probably still be there, and booting into Recovery (which runs from a read-only file-system) should show it.

9. delab99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so I did the Verify Disk Permissions and nothing came up. I did repair the permissions earlier today, but I have had the problem since then.

I can't test another hard drive because I don't have one unfortunately. Yesterday I emailed Seagate support and they said it's a mac issue and gave me the below link. But there's no resolution that I can see.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4086504

----------

Thanks Chown. I've googled quite a lot but can't seem to really find anyone talking about the same issue regarding a Seagate or Hybrid drive.
    When you say booting into recovery, do you mean restarting in Safe mode?

10. chown33 macrumors 604

"Verify Disk" is not the same as "Verify Permissions". I asked for "Verify Disk". Exactly which one did you perform?

I'd be looking into returning the disk that doesn't work and trying a different brand.

No, I mean this:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

Or you can hold down the OPTION key before starting up, and you'll see a list of available disks to boot from. One of them should be named "Recovery".
    http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11232

11. delab99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry. Ok, I did it again. Just 'Verify Disk' this time (on the sub/second hard drive option on the left) and this is what I got:

Verifying permissions for “MAC”

Permissions verification complete

Verifying volume “MAC”
    Checking file systemPerforming live verification.
    Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
    Checking extents overflow file.
    Checking catalog file.
    Checking multi-linked files.
    Checking catalog hierarchy.
    Checking extended attributes file.
    Checking volume bitmap.
    Checking volume information.
    The volume MAC appears to be OK.

12. delab99 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I go into the recovery partition and run Disk Utility, and Verify Disk there, are you saying it might give different results to when I just do it normally? Sorry if these are stupid questions ::confused:

13. chown33 macrumors 604

It may, but it seems unlikely to me, since the live verify showed no errors.

On the other hand, there's no harm in trying it.