Can't Search Ext. HD With "Improved" OS 10.6.8

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gremmies, Sep 30, 2011.

1. gremmies macrumors newbie

When searching for a file with OS 10.4, hitting "command F" brought up a search window with a menu bar across the top with buttons reading "Servers," "Computer," "Home," and "Others" that enabled one to search in specific places. If one clicked on "Others," a window named "New Search" opened up with an "add" button that would allow you to navigate to any folder or subfolder in order to narrow the search even further — or — to choose an external hard drive if the file you needed was there. Snow Leopard gives no choices other than to search "This Mac" or the user's account. There's no "Other" function that allows me to direct my search anywhere else, not even to my external backup drive! Is this an "improvement?" What am I missing? How can I search for files on my external backup drive?

2. health-intuitiv macrumors newbie

Where is documentation how to search inside one folder in 10.6.8

:mad: Issue: HOW TO SEARCH WITHIN ONE FOLDER IN SPOTLIGHT IN 10-6.8.
    Having same problem as you. Have searched for weeks online and with local users for an answer.
    Few people seem to be having this problem and I can find NO DOCUMENTATION at all for searching within one folder in Spotlight in 10.6.8 so I do suspect a hardware bug on my Imac 4.1.
    If not a hardware bug, “breaking” the user-friendly search of 10.4 is the kind of Apple-Mac “improvement” that gives Apple a bad name as a cult of elite techno snobs reducing the reliability of 10.6.8 for all but elite users.

If you know for sure where this documentation is, please illuminate us.

So far only solution is free external software such as EasyFind which is a blessing and Godsend to me. :D