can't search for .avi files in lion?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by guidoverduci, Jul 20, 2011.

1. guidoverduci macrumors member

Hi,

All I want to do is find all the avi files I have in iphoto and see them in one spot. On snow leopard this was easy, I just used finder and typed .avi in the finder window in the iphoto folder. When I try this in lion, there are no files that come up? and ideas?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not running Lion, so I don't know if this has changed. Try using a space as the search term, then click the + under the search terms to add criteria. Change "Album" to "File extension" (or Other > "File extension") and enter "avi" as the extension.

3. guidoverduci thread starter macrumors member

did that, no joy.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Do they show up if you search for Kind > Movies?

5. guidoverduci thread starter macrumors member

movies show up when the search is under "this mac", but when I narrow it down to the iphoto folder, then nothing. I tried it with my mbp running snow leopard and it works so I'm not doing anything different.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Are you sure the movies are in your iPhoto folder? If they show up under This Mac, right-click on one and open the enclosing folder.

You also may need to re-index your drive.

Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes

7. guidoverduci thread starter macrumors member

sorry, I might have been a little unclear. When I search movies under "this mac", a few files come up, but not the ones I have in iphoto. I will direct finder all the way to the actual folder that has a particular avi file I'm looking for, and when I search that folder for the file... it doesn't show up! But it's in the folder and i can open it! Again, I'm duplicate the same process on snow leopard and lion and I'm getting different results!

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Reindex the drive.

9. guidoverduci thread starter macrumors member

no joy. this sucks.

10. guidoverduci thread starter macrumors member

talked to tech support throughout the day.. apparently lion has an issue with the way spotlight searches the package contents of iphoto. you're able to find photos because the files are co-located in the pictures folder from your home directory. but for some reason the avi files are not in the movies folder only in the package itself. they are going to contact the engineers and get back to me.