Can't see Excel attachments in Entourage 2008

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by atamer, Jun 12, 2009.

1. atamer macrumors newbie

atamer

Hi everyone,
    I am a new Mac user and so far quite happy except for a few some small issues. By far the most vexing one is that I can't seem to see (in the attachment bar), much less open, any Excel (and possibly other Office docs) attachments sent to me from Windows PCs. When I send a test message to myself from the Mac, all seems fine. This is most annoying, as I actually would like to use Entourage with my mail.

I am using Gmail with POP3, if that makes a difference. Also, I have seen recommendations to get Office 2008 updates (SP1 and later) elsewhere but I haven't been able to do that either. The Installer just seems to freeze at some point.

Thankful for any ideas.
    Greetings
    Anke

2. GregE macrumors 6502

I use Entourage and just created a test Excel spreadsheet from my work PC and sent it to my iMac. I connected in with VNC and was able to see it in the message I sent and open it in Excel just fine. Not sure what to tell you. I haven't done anything special to enable it.

Since you are having trouble with updates, you might want to re-install Office. Mine updates just fine.

Sorry I can't give you more help.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The installer is not freezing, per se. There is a stupid dialog box that pops up UNDER your open windows. As you run the installer and it seems to hang, find that box and hit cancel.

4. JDee macrumors 6502a

I tested this for you and it works fine for me.

5. atamer thread starter macrumors newbie

atamer

Thanks, great tip. Ironically, when I tried to run the installer this time, this dialog box for the first time showed up with one edge just barely peeking out from under the window...

I was able to run all the updates now and it seems that the attachment issue is resolved with this as well.