Can't see Filevault 2 login on MBP in Clamshell with 3rd party display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calderone, Jan 13, 2016.

1. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

This is more of a feeler to make sure I am not alone.

Mid 2014 MacBook Pro with an LG Ultrawide over thunderbolt. Basically, when rebooting in Clamshell I can't see the Filevault login screen. If I wake my keyboard up I can type the password and login though.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this? I never had this problem when I had a Apple TB Display.

2. kazibole macrumors member

I think it has to do with the resolution of the display. My 1080p DVI monitor did show the login prompt, but my 4k MDP monitor does not.

3. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

When you say you can wake up your keyboard and mouse, the screen is still blank? you're just blindly typing in? and then does the screen appear after..?

Does your display have an indicator light and does it turn change during boot up?
    i'd try booting with the display disconnected and restart with it connected again. maybe even try a cold boot with it connected and close the macbook.
    another way is restart with it connected and the macbook closed and hold option and see if it actually engages the display.

and just to ask, is the macbook is plugged into a power source? :)

4. calderone thread starter macrumors 68040

calderone

- Blindly typing
    - Display indicator light is flashing (meaning no signal/standby)
    - You can't boot with the display disconnected in clamshell
    - I have done cold boots before
    - Restarts were the case I described
    - Macbook has power, it is in clamshell all the time.

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

you should be able to cold boot the machine and put it clamshell mode and it the secondary display should take over, have tested it with a Cintiq 27 and macbook pro.

6. calderone thread starter macrumors 68040

calderone

I think the comment about the resolution may be accurate. Trust me, I have tried numerous combinations with no luck. It seems that pre-boot environment isn't compatible with the 34" ultrawide.