Can't see home folder in Finder or Time Machine

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by los-graphicos, Oct 30, 2015.

1. los-graphicos macrumors member

Hopefully someone on here will have had a similar experience to this, when I go to my hard drive, open it and go to the Users folder, my actual user account folder isn't there – there's a "Guest" and a "Shared" folder in there but not my home folder? I have also noticed that Time Machine isn't backing up my desktop or my User folder either – I've created a new user and that appears in the Users folder so is there some sort of corruption or other issue with my original User folder that needs fixing? Should also mention that if I connect to the Mac from another Mac, the User folder is viewable and I can connect to it using the user details so that part of things is fine.

2. 11Al macrumors newbie

You should create a new admin account and delete the old one, obviously corrupt.

3. los-graphicos thread starter macrumors member

Bugger - is there any way of fixing the User folder? Diskwarrior perhaps? Or any easy way of duplicating/migrating software from one user folder to another?

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

5. los-graphicos thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for those links, however the "How to rebuild a user account in OS X" article, part of that didn't seem to work – at the point where you "go to the /Macintosh HD/Users/ directory and locate the home folder for the deleted user. If its name includes "(Deleted)" in it"

unfortunately that didn't happen, the problematic user folder just vanished completely from there and doesn't seem to be anywhere – it wasn't put into a different folder, just disappeared like it had been deleted completely, as seems to have been the case?

There was a backup made of the hard drive via Carbon Copy Cloner thankfully – there was another odd thing in that if you do a search of that backup a search result of that backup shows the user folder listed (backup > users > user A folder) but if you navigate to the users folder the user A folder itself isn't showing there. All very odd.