Can't see iMac hard disc on OS install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by exfordy, Aug 3, 2011.

1. exfordy macrumors newbie

Four year old iMac with 250GB drive. Had the 250 taken out and wiped clean and a 1TB put in. Noisy, so had 250 put back. Tried installing Snow Leopard. Nothing. Must be upgrade disc. Tried installing Leopard. Started, got to 'Select drive' - Nothing. The drive does not show. Nothing. Help. Please.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You have to run disk utility from the install disk in certain situations such as installing to a new HDD that may not be partitioned or may be DOS formatted. I seem to remember that during the install, if you click on "file" you should find disk utility.

You should at least see the internal drive in disk utility. You can start disk utility from the install dvd for Leopard or Snow Leopard. Click on the internal disk and see if it has any partitions. If not, pick partition scheme 1 partition, make sure options say "GUID" and click apply. If you like, you can rename the new partition from "untitled" to "Macintosh HD" by "erasing" it which formats it again and renames it. Now when you exit disk utility and go back to the install (no need to reboot), you should see the internal HDD and can pick it to install.

3. exfordy thread starter macrumors newbie

r0k - excellent. That worked. Thanks very much.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You mean it worked? Really? I just made all that stuff up! :eek:

Just kidding! ;) Glad I could help!