Can't see my downloads on Safari

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danb93, Feb 13, 2013.

1. danb93 macrumors newbie

hi
    there always used to be a download icon on the top right of safari which showed downloads. mine has disappeared. if i go on view i cannot select show downloads. does anyone have any idea how to get it back

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Safari > Window > Downloads or Option-Command-L

3. danb93 thread starter macrumors newbie

when i go on window there is no downloads and i have tried the option command L and it doesn't work

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is because neither of those options exist on Safari 6 in Mountain Lion.

The download window in Safari 6 only appears when there is a download in progress and it appears as a toolbar button at the top right (see my screen shot). You can click it while the DL is underway to see DL speed and progress. When the DL is done, the button/window disappears.

[​IMG]

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

In Preferences are your setting the same as these?

Attached Files:

7. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Just cleared my download history and now I can't select the view downloads in view. Download something and then try. Does it work then?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is because you have "Manually" selected in that "Remove downloaded list items" dropdown. I believe the default is to auto remove items and that makes the icon disappear when the DL completes. I just tested both ways, and with it set like yours the icon stays until you clear downloads from the list.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For security purposes, I recommend you uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading". Also make sure you uncheck "Enable Java" in Safari > Preferences > Security, if it's not already unchecked.