Can't see or eject CDs/DVDs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Poseidon, May 4, 2008.

1. Poseidon macrumors regular

Poseidon

So I'm working with my relatively new (about 1 month old) Imac and I've run across a problem with my disk drive.

My primary concern is that even after inserting a disk, no icon shows up on the HD and the programs the disk relates to act as though the disk isn't there. (For example, I'm trying to play a game specifically designed for Macs and I can't run the game without the disk inserted, but even with the disk inserted it still appears as though nothing is there.)

My other concern is that I can't seem to eject the disk the normal ways: since the disk doesn't appear on the HD I can't just drag it to the trashcan and eject it. I've searched the Mac help materials and the other forums on here and tried some of the other suggestions - disk utility, holding the eject button, and rebooting - and only rebooting seems to be a fix, albeit a temporary one.

Any thoughts? Thanks...

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Go into System Preferences and select CD's & DVD's and make sure an action is set when a DVD is inserted. For example if no action is set when putting in a Video DVD the setting will be on "Ignore".