Can't See Photos on my Back Up Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Winsors1, May 25, 2008.

1. Winsors1 macrumors newbie

I back up my Mac to a 500gig external HD. My problem is when I open Time Machine, open the most recent [or any for that matter] Back Up folder, when I try to open iPhoto I get an error code "10657" and iPhoto doesn't open. Does anyone know what a "10657" Error code is?

2. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Solution from an apple forum posting

I am pasting this from an apple forum.

Make sure you replace "username" with your own username.

------------------------------------
    i had this problem for awhile, the fix was a terminal command, let me find it. here this worked for me. type in terminal

sudo chown -R username:username ~/Pictures

you can also make sure your permissions are correct
    ------------------------------------

3. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Updated fix

The CHOWN statement has a problem with the parameters. I also noticed after fixing the permissions of the Pictures folder and subfolders (was "700", now "755"), I was still experiencing the iPhoto launch problem.

My solution, after noticing that I could go to Terminal and launch the application from /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Mac OS/iPhoto, was that ownership of the files in the application was not correct.

My fix:

Bring up the Get Info on the iPhoto application in the Applications folder and manually add myself as a user. (I guess you could also add "Everyone".) This solved the issue to me.

Caveat: Launching iPhoto from the old icon on the Dock still returned the error! :confused: I had to launch the application from the Applications folder, then use the Keep In Dock function and trashed the old iPhoto icon.

-Aaron-