Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
I have a 3TB TC that I have partitioned 1TB for TM and 2TB for media.
Yesterday I could see the Media partition in Finder, but today it has gone!
How do I get it back?
I'm using 10.9.2

Barney

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
No, it just shows the full 3TB (less what has been used) as AirPort Disk.
It sometimes shows up in Disk Utility as the 2 partitions, sometime I can only see my Macintosh HD

Barney

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
I'll try now.
I would have thought it was OK though with it doing the backup.

Barney

----------

No, still the same.

Barney

treestar

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
I've read in other threads that even if you remove your drive from the TC to partition it, the TC will only show and give access to one partition. It's my second-hand understanding that you should not attempt to partition a TC disk because it's a fruitless task.

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
I initially removed it and partitioned it, but when it went back into the TC it reformatted it as 3TB in a single partition.
I then found the instructions on how to partition it when it shows up in Finder (when running a TM backup. See this post.
Like I said it has partitioned OK and was showing up in Finder as the two volumes/partitions. They are still there as 1TB and 2TB when Disk Utility shows them.

Barney

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
So when you go to finder and double click on the time capsule, does it show one disk or two?

If you double click on the one disk, does it show two folders?

... you know, the time machine drive/partition may only show up while there is a backup going on, as I think Time machine unmounts it after its done. Yesterday you may have been seeing two drives because time machine was running.... I dunno just guessing...

Last edited:

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
So when you go to finder and double click on the time capsule, does it show one disk or two?
One
If you double click on the one disk, does it show two folders?
One
... you know, the time machine drive/partition may only show up while there is a backup going on, as I think Time machine unmounts it after its done. Yesterday you may have been seeing two drives because time machine was running.... I dunno just guessing...
I think I can always see the Time Capsule (Time Machine partition).

Barney

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.