Can't see Time Capsule from PC - XP SP1 HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Marilynfan, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Marilynfan macrumors member

Marilynfan

So I realized too late that they recommend SP2 in order to use Time Capsule. Is there a workaround for this? I am just connecting through ethernet. I currently have SP1 and purposely did not upgrade to SP2 at the time because I do not want to risk messing up all the programs on my PC (some which I no longer have CD, etc).

The CD that came with my Time Capsule will not load on my PC due to this service pack issue. I downloaded bonjour from the internet and I am able to print to the printer that is attached to my time capsule. I am also able to connect to the internet with no problem from the PC. The ONLY issue I am having is that I can not access the time capsule drive from the PC. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I really have to download SP2 in order to make this work?

2. daflake macrumors 6502a

SP1 has lots of issues... You should upgrade to SP3. I doubt that you will find Bonjour that will load for SP1 or 2. Upgrading SP's does not affect applications and I have never had a problem with an XP SP rollout. That being said, there is always a first time.

3. Marilynfan thread starter macrumors member

Marilynfan

Thanks but bonjour must be working since I was able to use it's printer wizard to connect to the printer. Is time capsule just supposed to automatically show up in My Computer or should I be looking someplace else for it?

As I said I would really prefer to stay with SP1 if possible as I have had no problems whatsoever with it. However, I guess if I have to I will look into SP3. I didn't know there was such a thing.

4. daflake macrumors 6502a

It is what you don't see that is the problem. Most of the fixes plug open holes that could leave your computer open for attack. So, even if you don't have problems, it is a good idea to keep the OS up to date with patches.

The older version of Bonjour may not support the TC which is why it works. If you can't run the installer because it is asking for the update then you will need it to get it installed.

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

Not sure if this applies in this situation but have you added your TC's IP address to the list of trusted networks/zones for any firewalls you have installed? I wasn't able to see my TC's HDD until I did that. Also, make sure file sharing is enabled on your TC. Open AirPort Utility and go into Manual Setup > Disks > File Sharing and make sure that it is turned on. Also make sure that the HDD shows up in the list of attached hard drives under the Disks tab. One final thing to try is to make sure that your TC's name and the name of the HDD are short (at most 8 characters) and contain no spaces/hyphens/apostrophes etc.

If that still doesn't work, and you don't want to go the full SP3 route (that's the latest service pack and I haven't had any issues with it), try doing a search on Microsoft's website for XP SP2 and you can download and install it through there. You're not supposed to unless you're a network admin doing a network rollout of SP2, but they have no way of knowing.

6. Marilynfan thread starter macrumors member

Marilynfan

Just wanted to update this thread with the news that I got it working with SP1 and bonjour from the internet. Basically, what skorpien said plus having the workgroup name on TC match the PC.

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

Thanks Marilynfan. I knew I was forgetting something. I had to do that also, but it's been so long since I've done it that I forgot to include that in my post. Glad it's working for you finally.