Can't See Wireless Card in Parallels

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cgreen01, Jan 8, 2011.

1. cgreen01 macrumors newbie

New iMac and have installed latest version of Parallels 6 via Switch to Mac edition. Coming from Dell Inspiron Laptop.

When booting in, it hangs forever on Welcome Screen. Have been told I need to update Wireless Driver, however, cannot see a wireless card under Device Manager. ( I got to desktop by CNTR-ALT-DELETE)

Downloaded the new driver from Dell, but when I run, it says the hardware not found.

I can get to Internet from Vista in VM no problem.

But I am trying to fix the hanging on Welcome Screen issue by updating the driver for the wireless card.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Are you connecting wirelessly, or wired with your iMac? I know that seems like a dumb question, but if Wireless isn't being used, then VM may not show it by default.

3. cgreen01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Problems with both

Get hung on Welcome screen both wired and wireless.

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Okay, something just struck me as odd in your statement here. You said you just downloaded the driver from Dell. Why from Dell. The wireless card you are wanting to update the driver for in VM is the wireless card that is installed in your mac.

You should click on the Apple icon in the top left.

Then select 'About this Mac'.

Next click the 'More Info' button, and then select 'Airport' under the 'Network' Section in the left panel.

Now you can search for Windows drivers for that particular card, or see if you can load the driver provided on your OS X Intall disc that would be used with Boot Camp.

You could also check for the driver from Parallels and see if they have an updated driver for you to use.

I thought that the network cards were just bridged into the VM, and that specific Windows drivers weren't needed, but maybe I'm wrong.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant