Can't seem to create a Wireless Network using Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Delta2Nite, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Delta2Nite macrumors newbie

I don't know what I'm doing wrong...

I've got the cable from the modem going to the base station. I follow ALL on screen instructions. I select "Using DHCP" because when I plug the ethernet cable into my MBP it automatically does everything for me, and has that as its setting as well.

I get to the stage where it asks whether or not I'd like it to share an IP or go into bridge mode, I'm not sure what either of these two mean...I've tried both and both result in no wireless internet.

On several occasions I get to the end, and after I do the "final" update is comes back with one problem - internet connection, saying the router doesn't have a valid IP.

I'm totally lost on what to do here...

If you need more information just ask...please...

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Are you using DSL? or cable modem?
    Do you need to set up the router (Extreme Base) to authenticate to your ISP and turn off that setting on your Mac (PPPoE, for example)?

3. Delta2Nite thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not 100% sure, I've been trying to call my ISP but the calls never go through. So much for their 24/7 service.

Turn what off?

Sorry, I'm not much of a networking person.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

if the modem has been plugged directly into your computer via ethernet, you need to unplug the power for modem for a few seconds once you have the ethernet plugged into the extreme.

if you've got cable modem (from the cable company, and a cable tv cable goes into the modem) that normally gets it working.

for DSL (comes from the phone company, a phone line plugs into the back) you may have to put account and password settings into the extreme.

you want to share an IP, that basically makes your own private network, instead of making your network part of your providers.

think of it as
    share an ip - to call someone in a building you have to call 555-1234 then ask for extension 458. each phone is only reachable through the building PBX.

bridge mode - to call that same person would be 555-1458 no extension. each phone is reachable directly from the outside.

it basically set how many devices your network provider (and the rest of the world) will see. for security reasons, on your main gateway to the world, it's better to share.

also for wireless security, use a WPA key, they are much more secure than a WEP key.
    you might see those choices on the wireless setup page depending on your type of network.

5. Delta2Nite thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, very interesting. I never thought of actually resetting the modem...

Please inform of what it is I might actually have, I'll be describing this in basic terms because I don't want to screw anything up using other terms.

I have the white cable that brings in the internet. It goes to the modem. The cable resembles that of a cable that would go to a TV (in terms of the endings).

Is this DSL or just a modem? Cable modem?

I 'think' I just have DSL, but I'm not 100% sure.

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

if it's the kind that plugs into the tv, it's a cable modem.

DSL comes in on a phone line.

chances are if you unplug power from the modem, get everything else plugged in and then plug in the modem, it will work for you.