Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I've been having trouble with this for a long time but never got around to asking for help. Basically, I can never seem to get the dosdude high sierra patcher to create me a bootable USB drive. I have one, in hand, that did work, which is why i've been just living with it, and not stressing the inability to make another. But someday something will happen to my USB drive, and i'll need that new one urgently. I've tried multiple USB drives, USB SSD drives, computers on which i'm creating it, downloading additional ISOs... nothing makes a difference. Is anyone out there able to get it working and if so, how? I've created boot drives with other OSes multiple times and never have any issue. Weird...

Reactions: AlJones

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
I've been having trouble with this for a long time but never got around to asking for help. Basically, I can never seem to get the dosdude high sierra patcher to create me a bootable USB drive. I have one, in hand, that did work, which is why i've been just living with it, and not stressing the inability to make another. But someday something will happen to my USB drive, and i'll need that new one urgently. I've tried multiple USB drives, USB SSD drives, computers on which i'm creating it, downloading additional ISOs... nothing makes a difference. Is anyone out there able to get it working and if so, how? I've created boot drives with other OSes multiple times and never have any issue. Weird...
I created a patcher usb using dosdude1's patcher three or four days ago and it's working. Used tools to download HS and applied the patches. All normal

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I created a patcher usb using dosdude1's patcher three or four days ago and it's working. Used tools to download HS and applied the patches. All normal

Unfortunately that doesn't help :( I've even/also tried creating a disk image from my working patched high sierra USB drive which fails at creation stage.

Would you be willing to create an image from your created USB drive and sending it to me via Dropbox or some other similar file sharing service? I can share a dropbox folder with you that has 8 GB of free space in it even, or we could use google drive?

AlJones

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2021
Hi Cameron, did you ever get it to work?

I've tried making a High Sierra install using the High Sierra Patcher with a number of different USB drives, but always get this error, was your issue the same?:

Could not copy files to your USB drive…

/dev/disk5 GUID_partition_scheme
/dev/disk5s1 EFI
/dev/disk5s2 Apple_HFS /private/tmp/installesd
Validating target...done
Validating source...done
Retrieving scan information...done
Validating sizes...done
Restoring ....10....20....30....40....50....60....70....80....90....100
Restored target device is /dev/disk2s2.
Remounting target volume...done
rm: /Volumes/macOS/System/Installation/Packages: No such file or directory
cp: /Volumes/macOS/System/Installation: No such file or directory
cp: /tmp/installesd/Packages: unable to copy extended attributes to /Volumes/macOS/System/Installation: No such file or directory
cp: /Volumes/macOS/System/Installation/Core.pkg: No such file or directory

evets

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2021
Hi, I had the same issue but managed to resolve it by leaving the volume label as it was after a failed attempt. From the screenshots on the instructions it looks like you should use "macOS" as the label when formatting the USB drive. However the errors in the log then suggest it was looking for /Volumes/macOS/ later in the process but instead the disk was actually mounting as /Volumes/OS X Base System. I tried reformatting the USB stick after a failed attempt but not changing the label, which then seemed to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.