Can't seem to fix the 1015 error

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gumbyy, Dec 1, 2010.

1. gumbyy macrumors newbie

Heres the story:
    I bought a new Iphone 3gs, and tried to unlock it. After it was jailbroken, cydia was messed up. When I opened it, I would just see a window coming up, but as soon as the window is about to expand completely, it closes itself and goes back to home screen. So, I tried to restore it. When it was almost done restoring, I got an error 1015, and that same error popped up every time I tried to restore. I youtubed ways to fix this and went to a video that told me to change the hosts file along with downloading iREB to restore the recovery mode loop. I did as the instructions said, and afterwards, tried to restore it again. Same error popped up.
    In the iREB recovery mode loops fixer window, it says at the bottom "If after several attempts, you still have a recovery logo, rerun redsn0w! You will still have all your apps, but it will fix your boot chain!" When I reran redsn0w and did what I did the first time, I went to the screen that says I need to shutdown the iphone before continuing. But every time I shut it down, it starts back up 2 seconds after I just shut it down.

What can I do to fix this? Helppp don't want my $325 investment to go in the trash.

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Use TinyUmbrella to kick it out of recovery mode.

3. gumbyy, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

gumbyy thread starter macrumors newbie

just downloaded it and kicked it out, it went back to recovery mode though, but I'm trying a restore right now to see if it'll work
    thanks
    edit: it still had the 1015 error @_@ whats wrong with it?!?!/1

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

What iOS are you trying to restore your iPhone too?

5. gumbyy thread starter macrumors newbie

iphone 3gs 4.2.1

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

A lot of people are having issues with 4.2.1 on their iPhones. Try restoring on another computer. Make sure you have the right version of iTunes (10.1).

7. gumbyy thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried to restore using my laptop, still 1015

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Now use TinyUmbrella to kick it out of recovery mode.

9. gumbyy thread starter macrumors newbie

just tiny umbrella'ed it and still has the recovery screen. is it supposed to get out of the recovery screen directly after a tiny umbrella kick?

10. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yeah. Edit your host files. This seems to be causing the issue with Apple's server.

The host file should be directed to the Cydia server. Screen shot below:

Attached Files:

11. gumbyy thread starter macrumors newbie

Same old recovery screen. I have windows 7, would that have to do with anything at all?

12. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

that shouldn't be the problem.

13. xgiang817x macrumors newbie

Omg i did the exact same thing. my dad bought my mom an iphone 4. he wanted me to unlock it but i messed up. i tried to update the iphone 4 to 4.2.1 and now its bricked. i tried everything to unlock the phone.

14. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

but his is a 3GS lol XD! i think you need to take different steps for iphone 4... wait i dont even think unlock is out for 4.2.1 for iphone 4 lol

15. gumbyy thread starter macrumors newbie

o dang, is it safe to say my phone is POSSIBLy bricked?

16. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

thought the iphone JB then unlock was idiot proof. have you tried DFU mode?

17. gumbyy, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010

gumbyy thread starter macrumors newbie

i just found this page
    http://mobile.downloadatoz.com/tuto...ng-error-1015-in-ios-4-2-1-iphone-3gs-3g.html
    i followed its instuctions to downgrade to 4.1, and it seemed to work. it went from a recovery screen with only a picture of a usb and the itunes logo, to a screen with the pic of usb and itunes logo + a slide bar + some the signal bar at the top.

i went on to step 4, where i re-jailbreak it. i changed the compatibility of resn0w to windows xp service pack 3, then jailbroke it using the 4.1 firmware, and checked the "install ipad baseband" (this might be where i messed up because the instructions seemed a little unclear), then continued. i turned off the iphone, then continued redn0w to the part where i enter it into DFU mode. after the process, it said i did the DFU mode thing wrong (i did it exactly how it asked me to and how i always have done it turn off>hold sleep/wake for 3>hold sleep/wake + home for 10> hold home for 15). after that my screen was stuck completely black with a bar going down the middle like this [​IMG]
    i was thinking mayb i should wait, so i did 5 minutes later it was still like that, so i unplugged it. now its completely off or so it seems, and i cant seem to turn it back on. when i connect to itunes, it says that its inrecovery mode, and i should restore as if the iphone was on, but the screen is completely off..... did i break the screen?
    EDIT: nvm restored it to 4.1 and its back to the recovery screen with the emergency calls

18. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

i dont think the screen is broken.

try restoring it

19. stela macrumors newbie

Now to fix this error, you will have to make a couple of changes in your system’s “host” file, by pointing it towards Cydia server instead of Apple’s. Also this is not it, you may also receive another error during restore: 1004, or 1015 from iTunes saying: “The iPhone [you name] iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1004)”.

20. gumbyy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help, I got it fixed. Since I already changed the baseband to an ipad one, I shouldn't have checked the option again on redsn0w the last time I did it. I jailbroke it again, and it worked, and now everything is back to normal

Thanks for the help everyone

21. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

you're welcome