Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Has anyone else had this issue? More importantly; has anyone found a solution?

All other continuity features work. Facetime calling, SMS forwarding, etc. Originally, the hotspot feature (where you can connect from the Mac without having to get the phone out)worked but that has stopped.

I've tried resetting network settings, signing in and out of iCloud on all devices, and pairing and forgetting the iPhone from the Mac, etc.

Has anyone figured out any solutions? Are others having similar issues?

Playgear

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
I have a Late 2013 15" rMBP, a Wi-Fi+LTE iPad Air and iPhone 5.

Here's how the scenario plays out for me:

DTblYNU.png

Everything works except FROM iPhone TO rMBP - which means I do not get icons in the dock on my Mac from my iPhone, and similarly I cannot see Instant Hotspot in my Wi-Fi menu, though I can on my iPad.

However, phone calls and SMS still work on my Mac from my iPhone.

Not a big deal - upgrading to an iPhone 6 Plus soon and hopefully that will fix it, but it's just strange.

Fabian90

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2013
Bonn, Germany
I got a late 2013 15" rMBP and an iPhone 5 and it works only from iPhone TO Mac but not the other way round. (yes, other direction as on your graphic!)

Edit: iPhone is A1429

Playgear

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
I got a late 2013 15" rMBP and an iPhone 5 and it works only from iPhone TO Mac but not the other way round. (yes, other direction as on your graphic!)

Edit: iPhone is A1429

Same phone - A1429.

Very strange...

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
See, I can't get handoff working in ANY direction. It's driving me nuts. Facetime calling works, SMS works. It just seems so bizarre for SOME of the continuity features to work; but not others.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I have a Late 2013 15" rMBP, a Wi-Fi+LTE iPad Air and iPhone 5.

Here's how the scenario plays out for me:

Everything works except FROM iPhone TO rMBP - which means I do not get icons in the dock on my Mac from my iPhone, and similarly I cannot see Instant Hotspot in my Wi-Fi menu, though I can on my iPad.

However, phone calls and SMS still work on my Mac from my iPhone.

Not a big deal - upgrading to an iPhone 6 Plus soon and hopefully that will fix it, but it's just strange.

This is the exact scenario I have as well except my iPad is the original Mini
And I too have restarted and done most everything I can think of
I do find it odd that the iPad works fine and the iPhone doesn't for whatever reason

I am likely to use the features, but still, I like for my stuff to work :)

Vinamra

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Can't seem to get it to work on my my 5S. Funnily, it was working fine on the phone before i upgraded to 8.1. I've checked and rechecked and then checked some more.. handoff is switched on on my macbook and iPhone yet it just refuses to work on the phone. I've even tried switching it off/on and rebooting the device. No luck!

Also, does it use Bluetooth as well? Because the apps supporting continuity/handoff only show on my laptop's dock when bluetooth is turned on on both the devices.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I was struggling yesterday, and was having very mixed results ranging from handoff not working at all to it working on my iPhone only. I found an article offering a suggested fix, and it worked for me.

It appears to me that the "missing link" is the FaceTime setup (this was the only article I found that referenced FaceTime settings).

In my case, I had to sign into FaceTime using my AppleID (which I believe was set in the past, possibly disconnected at some point). Anyhow, it does make sense that this would be a potential gap in Handoff functioning, and it corrected my issue immediately.

Good luck...this is clearly not an example of "it just works".

The full article can be found at: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/continuity-calling-handoff-not-working-ios-8-try-out-fix-1466213

Step-1: Open the Settings app on your device running iOS 8

Step-2: Click General

Step-3: Click Handoff & Suggested Apps

Step-4: Turn Handoff option Off and turn it On again

Step-5: Tap General at the top of return to the previous menu

Step-6: Tap Settings at the top of return to the previous menu

Step-7: Tap FaceTime

Step-8: Put the iPhone Cellular Calls option Off and then put it back On again

Step-9: Once the action is completed, reboot the iPhone or the iPad

Playgear

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
I was struggling yesterday, and was having very mixed results ranging from handoff not working at all to it working on my iPhone only. I found an article offering a suggested fix, and it worked for me.

It appears to me that the "missing link" is the FaceTime setup (this was the only article I found that referenced FaceTime settings).

In my case, I had to sign into FaceTime using my AppleID (which I believe was set in the past, possibly disconnected at some point). Anyhow, it does make sense that this would be a potential gap in Handoff functioning, and it corrected my issue immediately.

Good luck...this is clearly not an example of "it just works".

The full article can be found at: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/continuity-calling-handoff-not-working-ios-8-try-out-fix-1466213

Step-1: Open the Settings app on your device running iOS 8

Step-2: Click General

Step-3: Click Handoff & Suggested Apps

Step-4: Turn Handoff option Off and turn it On again

Step-5: Tap General at the top of return to the previous menu

Step-6: Tap Settings at the top of return to the previous menu

Step-7: Tap FaceTime

Step-8: Put the iPhone Cellular Calls option Off and then put it back On again

Step-9: Once the action is completed, reboot the iPhone or the iPad

Unfortunately that did not fix it for me :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.