Cant seem to have root access on my iTouch 3G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Solidus Snake, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Solidus Snake macrumors newbie

Okay I have a 64GB iPod Touch 3G for quite some time now but sadly I've never been able to login root access in order to SSH. Iv'e been successful on deviating this situation using programs like iFile and other means of installing personal stuff like Safari Download manager etc etc but I would like to be able to use openSSH programs as well.

I tried entering my root access with mobile terminal but had no luck at all. Basically, I add the "su" command followed by the password "alpine" but every damn time I do this I keep on getting an "invalid password" message. The same thing happens to me when I use mac SSH programs like Cyberduck and Fugu (think that's how it's spelled). Everything works well up to where it prompts to type in the password which always has the same invalid message.

Also, it is impossible for me to change such password since I can't login on the first place.

I'm out of luck so hopefully you guys are better techno geeks than me and can give me a hand.

2. Intell, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010

Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iOS is not like Android. The default password is alpine. You are most likely not putting it in correctly. The user should be mobile and the password is alpine. If you need/want to be the root user, then the user is root and the password is alpine. And from your description, it sounds as if you have pirated some jailbroken apps, please buy them.