Price Advice Can't Seem to Sell My MBP??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hiohokaybye, Jul 15, 2012.

1. hiohokaybye macrumors regular

I have a Macbook Pro that I bought in February 2011, and I've been trying to sell it on Craigslist cuz I'm getting the rMBP tomorrow or so. I checked mac2sell.net, ebay and other websites, and the price I should be selling is around $1700, but I reduced it to $1400 since I don't have applecare and just because I have two scuffs on my right palm rest. But here are my specs:

Intel Quad i7 2.2 Ghz
    8GB RAM
    128GB SSD
    Hi-Res Glossy Screen
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M

Am I asking for too much?:confused:
    I haven't thought about selling it on eBay because I've never really used ebay before :eek:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If nobody's buying it then yes, you are probably asking too much.

3. kjmff5 macrumors regular

Also depends on your market. I sold a 2 year old MBP for 1000 in 2 hours on craigslist in San Diego, while in Kansas City, no one seems to want to buy anything. City and State matter. A lot.

4. hiohokaybye thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm actually in SD right now... that's just strange:/ I guess I'll have to lower the cost again? What would be a good new price?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what you may be able to charge. Then adjust your price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

6. rpang macrumors member

Try adding OBO (or better offer), and lower your pricing by about $50 each time you refresh your ad until you get a bite.

7. hiohokaybye thread starter macrumors regular

already did that haha. seems like thats what you post for everyone :p

And i'll lower it by $50 and add the obo :) what does the refreshing do?:O

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're quite right. I didn't read all of your post, as there are dozens of such threads and many don't know about Mac2Sell.net or about checking the other sites. I should have read more carefully.

9. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I sold my mac mini on amazon before, I think that's a good place to sell it. The market is much larger (amazon does take a percentage, but they do give you a shipping credit).

You list it, and wait.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Unfortunately there seems to be too much hype over the retina screen. I think people have a boner for that so much that they refuse to look elsewhere. Not everyone is like that but quite a few. Try to sell it in SD if you're there for now. Also, adding an OBO is a great idea.

11. Inakto macrumors regular

I have an early 2011 17 MBP with 8gb and ssd and my sister has the new 15inch rMBP. Honestly, if I were in your position I would keep your current machine for a little while longer. Please disregard this post if the following applies to you:
    • You're made of cash and this purchase would not hurt your wallet whatsoever
    • You need the rMBP for professional reasons
    Given the age of your current machine and compromises made in the rMBP, it may be wise to wait for the second generation rMBP. I mean, you do have the high res screen option on your current machine and I find it very functional.

12. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

When did you purchase this MBP? Still eligible for extended AppleCare?

13. jdiamond macrumors 6502

Also check Apple's refurb store...

One more point of comparison for your model...
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro

BTW, your experience may vary, but I've found that typical Craigslist shoppers are not looking for things even close to market price - they want insane discounts. Where I live, Craigslist is for people who don't give a darn how much money they get, they just want someone to come by tomorrow and take what they've got, no questions asked.

You'd be *much* better off selling nationally, e.g., on eBay. Even nationally, time of year can have a big impact.

14. hiohokaybye thread starter macrumors regular

I'm actually seriously considering that. I bought it and there's actually a screen defect so I'm getting a replacement, but now I'm just considering about returning and waiting for the second one cuz there's some serious lag on the os with graphics.

Bought it in February 2011, and I don't have AppleCare anymore, which seems to be why people aren't buying it:/

15. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Yeah - I have sold 9 MBP on CL - all had AppleCare - you may need to drop the price without AppleCare if you want to sell on CL - or ebay for current price and get hit with fees - I generally think CL is the way to go - how big is your city?

16. hiohokaybye thread starter macrumors regular

Dannng 9? I guess i'll have to do that then! :(
    San Diego is pretty big, around 100k people?

17. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

San Diego would be a good market for selling - its just very difficult without warranty.

18. jazzman69 macrumors newbie

Good News

According to 2010 Census,
    San Diego has a population of 1.2 million. Which makes it pretty,pretty, pretty big.

19. hiohokaybye thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, people been offering me $1100... I'm just still waiting!

20. mwhities macrumors 6502a

I'm hesitant to buy an Apple products without the AC. I bought my MB 2010 model (used) a month before the first year AC expired. I was able to purchase the two year AC before. Best purchase ever (of course, I got a good deal on it.).

If I can't get a system I'm looking for with AC (I'll pay pretty much what they are asking), I usually move on, unless they discount it enough.

Example: If I could buy yours for 1K, I would... the extra 100-400 you are asking would help me replace something if it were to break. If you had AC, I'd snatch it up right now (if I had the money and I could extend the AC another two years.)

This is just a POV from someone that's always/actively looking for Apple hardware to purchase. :)

21. ShutterFinger macrumors newbie

Amazon

I sold my iPhone 4 and my 2008 MBP 15.4 on Amazon and got top dollar. Craigslist is for lowballers and bottom feeders. Give Amazon their small cut. It's worth it.