Can't seem to use more than 50% cpu

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gillett, Jul 21, 2008.

1. gillett macrumors newbie

No matter what I do I can't seem to get the other 50% of my cpu usage. Earlier I was encoding songs with iTunes-LAME and adding them to iTunes, surfing the web, and watching movies with VLC, and according to iStatPro I never used more than 50% cpu, which is kind of annoying since I was encoding pretty slowly. You'd figure with 48% cpu "idle", I'd be able to encode a little faster than the ~5.7x I got :confused: Maybe I'm not sure exactly what would use both cores, but I figured mp3 encoding would have done it

2. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Try ripping a DVD with Handbrake. That will do the job.

Besides, I think the OS likes to leave a core available if you are doing web surfing or other light activities. (Just my observation)

Oh and make sure the power settings are set to better performance.

3. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Trash a big video and secure delete!

Also, Im not a great fan of iStat so I would prefer if you use Activity Monitor for monitoring CPU usage at least!

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Depends on where the OP is getting this 50% figure from exactly. Handbrake only seems to use 1 core, so depending where you look will only use 50%. On my 8 core MP Handbrake only uses ~13%% of total power, but ~100% of a single core. The usage figure depends on where you're finding your processor utilisation info.

5. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Wow. That is why I love these forums. I always learn something new. Seriously, thank you for the correction. :)

I'm guessing the ability to utilize more than one core will change with Grand Central in Snow Leopard. (maybe)

6. fredr500 macrumors regular

Handbrake

Run 2 copies of Handbrake using the internal and a USB optical drive. I do this all the time on my mac pro, but I recall it maxing out all 4 cores (watching with iSTAT).

As an aside, what do you have against iSTAT?
    Fred

7. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Using Winclone to backup a windows partition will also max out your system resources..

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

open up a few terminal windows and type "yes" without quotes.