Can't select an item from menu when viewed on a TV screen

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by leeannem, Apr 29, 2010.

1. leeannem macrumors newbie

Hi
    I have to create a compilation DVD containing 7 very small .mov files. I used the free positioning tool to arrange the buttons within the TV safe area and imported the movie clips using the Project/Add Movie and dragging the clips onto the button. It all looks good and after burning, plays well on a computer - both platforms.

But when I test it on a DVD player to view on TV, I am unable to use the arrow keys on the remote to select 2 of the movies from the menu. It will scroll across and down and up for most but refuses to select the top right corner movie and sometimes the arrow doesn't always take you to the clip you think you are selecting.

Am I asking iDVD to do things that it is not meant for? I have done it before for 2 small .mov files and they worked well.

Thanks very much if you can help me. (Long weekend in the NT of Australia coming up so I won't reply til Tuesday 4 may 2010).

LeeAnne

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

I'm guessing its a bug in that tool.

Why can't you use iDVD to place the buttons? I've never had any trouble
    placing them anywhere I want.

3. leeannem thread starter macrumors newbie

Why can't you use iDVD to place the buttons? I've never had any trouble
    placing them anywhere I want.

Thanks for the reply but I actually did use iDVD to place the buttons. And like I said, I can select all 7 of the movie clips when playing the DVD in a computer. Its just when played in a DVD player that I can't select some of the movies using the arrow keys on the remote.

Any more ideas?
    Thanks
    LeeAnne

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

Have you tried deleting the buttons and recreating them? I think I had this happen once.

Is there anything different about those 2 clips than the others?

5. leeannem thread starter macrumors newbie

OK. I am doing what you suggested now. Its burning as I write.

As I said before, I had used the free positioning function to arrange the 7 buttons randomly on the screen. When this didn't work on a DVD player, I re-did the DVD but this time I arranged the buttons in columns and rows as I thought that would make using the arrow keys on a remote more easy. But it still didn't allow me to select a couple of the movies (but different ones, so it isn't the movie clips).

So now I have deleted each of the buttons with the movie clips and re-added them. Its still going so I'll let you know what happens.
    Thanks a lot
    LeeAnne

6. leeannem thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your suggestion. That simple fix worked. I re-imported the movie clips and it all works as it should.
    Thanks again
    leeAnne