Can't select Mac HD when doing as SAVE AS from Adobe programs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Colour Blond, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Colour Blond macrumors newbie

My Macs developed a glitch where I can't select the Mac HD when doing a 'save as' from InDesign, Illustrator etc.

To be able to select the HD I first have to click another option like 'desk top' or an attached 'external HD'. Then after clicking on the desk top or external HD I can click on the Mac HD and it will respond and I can save to it.

It's an annoying problem which I haven't come across before.

I have run DiskWorrior and iDefrag and neither have fixed the glitch.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks you.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you repaired permissions via Disk Utility yet? What about removing the Macintosh HD icon from the Finder Sidebar and adding it again?

Btw, why do you need to save to the Macintosh HD root directory? What about creating a link in the Finder Sidebar to the folder you are actually using if you don't actually use the Macintosh HD root directory?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like a permission problem or maybe even some sort of user account corruption issue.

Did you try creating a new account with the same or higher privileges and see if the problem continues?

4. Colour Blond thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello.

Thanks for the help. It would seem to be an account corruption issue. I created a new account and the problem wasn't there. Is there anyway I can fix my existing account so that I don't have to loose all my account settings?

And thanks Spinnerlys, I will make folder links in the finder sidebar from now on but still want to fix this glitch.

Thanks you.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps, but I'm not sure where to begin and I think the work effort to fix the permissions/corruption my outweigh the benefit. It just may be easier to move your stuff over to the new account then to fix the corrupted one.

Dollars to donuts, I'm wondering if its a bad plist or something in adobe, especially if you can save your documents to your home folder in other apps.

that being the case, try trashing the various adobe plist files sitting in yout ~/Library/Preferences folder and any where else you may locate adobe files in ~/Library.

Before doing this, make sure you have your system backed up, and also I'm pointing you to <user>/Library not /Library

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

Repair your permissions to see if that fixes it. I get weird saving problems with PS CS3 at times, and they are resolved when I repair permissions. I don't know why..... but it works for me, and it's relatively painless since the problem only crops up occasionally.

7. Colour Blond thread starter macrumors newbie

Have repaired permissions but glitch still there. Thanks for all the help.

8. Macopotamus macrumors regular

Macopotamus

If it's a smaller external drive or SSD make sure that Adobe Photoshop isn't using the available space as additional memory/swap space

I have run into some weird problems when using a smaller SSD as swap space, could be related

9. snberk103 macrumors 603

I've just tried it with PS CS3, and I can select the Mac HD immediately. Which only tells us that this probably not a widespread problem.

Have you posted over at the Adobe support forums? You're more likely to find people who are familiar with this over there. This is, of course, firstly a rumours website. I wouldn't go looking for Mac rumours over at Adobe - and in the same vein I don't usually look for technical support here.... (to everyone else reading this.... nothing personal. I spend way more time here than at technical support places. This place is fun! :) )

You might try the Apple Support forums too, but I would start with Adobe.

Or, you might try a reinstallation of OS X. But that probably should only be done at this point if you have other reasons to do so.

Good Luck.

10. Colour Blond thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all very much for the advice. Hugely appreciated.