iPad Can't sell iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by patseguin, Nov 10, 2013.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I've listed my iPad 3rd gen 64GB AT&T 5 times on ebay and finally just listed it as a $375 sale. Am I going too low? The ebay and paypal fees will hurt but I can't sell the thing.

2. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

I try to use eBay as a last resort because of the fees as you mentioned.

Always better to sell to a friend/colleague IMO.

I just sold the same model as you, except with a smashed up bezel after being abused my me all its life :eek: for £275 to a friend. (440USD)

3. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I sold my mint 3rd Gen 64gb wifi/cellular to my sister for £250 (400 USD)

4. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

I've tried friends, Craig's List, etc. nothing is working.

5. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Are you making the ad look good?

Make the title clear, include plenty of images and do a free next day delivery or something. Normally works for me.

Maybe use one of the eBay listing HTML templates you can get online?

6. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

I'll check that out, thanks.

7. jaybar macrumors 6502

jaybar

Use a trade-in program. Lower price, but not that much lower when you factor in fees and screening buyers and mailing costs.

Other options are donate to charity or sell or give to a needy friend who has consistently helped you in other ways over time. We gain by giving.

8. powerbooks macrumors regular

It's really kind of sad to see the less than two years old top line model devalued so hard. Are there any issues with it? If not, I would wait a few more weeks before trying again to skip the over saturated market now.

Have to agree I sell less and less on eBay now due to the high fees. Always try CL first. I sold a like new basic model mini last weekend for 250. Sounds less, but it has to set to about 300 on eBay in order to get the same profit, which would be an challenge.

Try this site before setting your price and compare local CLs:
    http://www.newlifeauctions.com/calc.html

But the truth is, even Apple does not like the iPad 3 and killed it less than 11 months. Even iPad 4 has longer shelf life than 3. I think I might be stuck with my old 3 also, but I got it dirty cheap during the iPad 4 fever last year this time.

Lesson to me: unless you really need more storage and want to keep the same model longer enough, avoid 64 or 128GB models. They will surely sell less on used market, but may not devalued like crazy.

I think 32GB is a reasonable compromise for most people.

9. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

I ended up selling my mint 3rd gen for $330. It was AT&T but only 16GB. Leather smart cover and waterfield case... Good deal for the buyer and fair for the seller. Went with baseline Air. Very, very happy.

10. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I sold my 16GB LTE 3rd gen for $325 right after iPad Air delivered. Prices were topping in the $350-ish range on ebay but their fees would have brought me less than what I sold mine for locally.

11. powerbooks macrumors regular

Another self-learning: do not follow the new trend, always buy the last generation Apple stuff used or refurbished, unless it is really a big renovation. It has been true to my iPad 2, 3, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and iMac 27.

iPad 4 to iPad Air may warrant the change, but 3 to 4 was certainly not, for example.

Whether mini to retina mini is worth the change remains to be seen, especially now you can buy new old mini at 249 at Apple store online.

12. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

While I agree with you for the iPad 3rd gen to 4th gen upgrade, I think that the cost of owning the newest model is exaggerated.

My personal calculations show that at least for me it is at only about 20% more expensive to always have the newest gen than the previous gen, providing old models are resold well.

I think the greatest diseconomies come with memory upgrades. I am always shocked and disappointed to find that the difference in storage on the second hand market barely moves the price.

13. powerbooks macrumors regular

That was my first point in first post. Unless you absolute need more storage, and determined to keep it long, top model is not worth the cost because of the pricing structure of Apple.

Still, when buying earlier generation, you will already have
    Rice advantage, so I personally think the the difference between old and new would be more than 20%, especially considering used market for excellent cared products.

14. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

I always find listing it as an auction starting at .99 cents with no reserve attracts the strongest interest. Fixed price listings or listings that start at high amounts cause purchaser to overlook your listing for a better deal. However, if you get someone to commit bidding on your auction at lower price they are now invested in the process and are incentivized to continue bidding. It's psychology, people don't like to lose in any competition.

15. vos4 macrumors newbie

Could do a trade in at Gamestop, and use the credit for gift cards (Amazon, iTunes Shell, etc). Your 3rd gen 64GB AT&T model in like new condition would get $450 or in good condition $400 (utilizing the extra 30% offer they have going on). I just did it yesterday for my 4th gen iPad and got amazon cards.

16. Cygnus311 macrumors regular

That's because you don't know how to use eBay. I sold my iPad 2, 32gb for $300 last week.

eBay 101: You don't do buy it now. You take good pictures, leave a good description, charge low shipping, and start your AUCTION at $1. This is what drives buyer interest. It always works. People get in bidding wars and everything has its price. Like nylon said, it is all about playing with how people's minds work.

17. Chupa Chupa, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Hype up extras like cases, extra cables and such. If this is your last "dock connector" device its a good time to get rid of accessories you'll no longer be able to use & buyer thinks he's getting added value.

Also be sure to note the condition and show the original box and accessories neatly placed in the box. It conveys the idea it's been well cared for. Let sellers know they'll receive the iPad just as it shipped from Apple. I'm surprised you can't get $375. Bump up the price $25 and offer free shipping. People's mindset is such that they won't pay $375 + $25 shipping b/c they feel they are getting ripped off on the shipping. But they will pay $400 w/ free shipping b/c they think they are getting something for free. Also I prefer to do a straight sale only and fee on people's need for instant gratification.

18. rojct20 macrumors member

Sold iPad 4 blk 64gb @ GameStop

They gave me $625. Had to buy a 99cent game to qualify for the extra 30%.
    Took it in shell gas cards, because I use $3-400 a month in gas.

19. aypues macrumors regular

Thats a good deal. I'm going to check it out. My ipad3 32gb w/at&t would get me $410 after the 30% bump.

20. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

Do a little bit of research on your local classifieds and see what the price ranges are. You'll be able to sell the iPad, you just have to have yours more noticeable then other sellers. When I sell my iDevices it always takes a couples days to a couple weeks, however I always wait it out because trade in programs often "JIP" you. If all else fails, your last resort should be a trade in program, however I guarantee that someone will buy your iPad from your local classifieds. You just have to be patient.

21. smchan macrumors member

I did this as well. Sold an iPad 2 32G AT&T model for $334 and an iPhone 4S 32G AT&T model for a little over $200 in store credit after a 30% trade-in bonus. I have an XBOX ONE pre-ordered, so I used the credit to retire the balance of what I owed.

Might've done a little better on eBay or CL - but I stay busy with my work and don't care to hassle with selling stuff personally.

Sam