Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
I bought a 1500.00 Smart TV on Craigslist with 2 month old receipt for 700.00, That is the type of deal I try to find, not paying nearly retail for old technology.

As one person said if it doesn't sell lower the price. I have never had an issue selling anything on craiglist because I realize a used item is not as valuable as a new item.

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
All of you are over looking one other important detail - the date!!!

Guys, I don't know how to tell you this, but the week before Christmas is a COMPLETE and UTTER buyers market, because any seller that couldn't sell something before is completely desperate for a pre-XMAS sale. If they fail, they know the market may be soft until March. As a result, almost all electronic items lose about $200 of their selling point compared to a month ago.

Now is the time to buy, not to sell.

And it's also true about CraigsList vs eBay - eBay people pay close to market value for used things. CraigsList people are looking for super dirt cheap items. So if your item is in great condition, it's really not good for Craigslist.

Noctilux.95

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
LA
Sold my iPad 3, 16 gig wifi for $425 two weeks before the iPad 4/Mini were announced.
Today I'm a proud owner of the 4:D

Dec 19, 2012
I'm trying to sell it for $450. It's a 32 GB white iPad 3rd generation with Verizon. A refurb model sells for $599.

I haven't got an offer over $300 for it. Craigslist has always worked for me. I know it's been a while since the release or the mini, but it's also Xmas time. I'm shocked at how long the ad has been up and now little responses I've received. Anybody else having the same problem?

Have you reposted the ad or refreshed it so it moves it to the top of the search fields? There are so many people selling iPads that if yours isn't one of the first ones in view when somebody searches Craigslist, you will not get a single e-mail.

I sold a 32 GB Verizon iPad 2 about 4 weeks ago for $375 - granted, it included the VGA and HDMI adapters and it was a refurbished unit in perfect shape and only about 6 months old, but still, I would think you'd have no problem getting at least $400 for your iPad 3. Somebody out there who wants Retina and doesn't want to bite the bullet and have to buy all the new adapters will certainly buy it.

Personally, I bit the bullet and bought and iPad 4 and dumped the cellular connection (never used it) and just got a 32GB wifi and I LOVE IT. Can't even look at an iPad 2 or mini screen anymore now that I've jumped to retina! 1000 times better but to each his own.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Wow...

I got a great deal on trading in my 32GB wifi only iPad 2 at Amazon about six weeks ago - $345. I was going to suggest you go the same route, however I just checked and Amazon is now offering only $206 for the same model I traded in. Ouch. And they're offering only $284 for the iPad 3 you have.

I guess the trade-in market has tanked as we are so close to Christmas?

hypobid

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
Prices have dropped significantly, that's for sure. The Micro Center near my house is selling brand new 16 GB iPad 3's for only $399. Here's the link:

http://microcenter.com/product/387328/iPad_(3rd_Generation)_16GB_Wi-Fi_Black

They're also selling brand new 64 GB iPad 3's for only $499! Here's the link:

http://microcenter.com/product/387330/iPad_(3rd_Generation)_64GB_Wi-Fi_Black

They're also selling brand new iPad 4's for only $459! Here's the link:

http://microcenter.com/product/404158/iPad_(4th_Generation)_16GB_Wi-Fi_Black

HERO XXL

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
I recently sold a brand new still in wrapper iPad 4 (white, wifi) on CL for $475. If there's one thing I know that might help is that you have to post almost DAILY. Doing it once and just waiting for someone to bite will net you nothing. A lot of times, peopl don't really look back, because they figure that the good deals are gone already. So, you might want to give that method a try.
It took about a week & a half, but its GONE--and I'll be picking up my mini TONIGHT!!!

**crosses fingers**

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Sold an ipad2 64GB Wifi for $420 today, although it was with a smart cover and a Kensington Keyfolio (awful thing...). I think it wasn't a bad deal.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Don't sell it. the iPad mini is a fad with really no added benefits over the ipad 3. Your iPad 3 is superior and so it's not worth it.
Especially since you're only selling it for $450. I sold my wifi only 16gb slightly scratched iPad 3 for $425.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Don't sell it. the iPad mini is a fad with really no added benefits over the ipad 3. Your iPad 3 is superior and so it's not worth it.
Especially since you're only selling it for $450. I sold my wifi only 16gb slightly scratched iPad 3 for $425.

Apart from the smaller size, which the OP mentioned as a reason for swapping to it.

I've gotta ask, did you actually read the OP's comment?

NovaKane

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
Sold my iPad3 32gb LTE for $580 the other day. Grabbed myself the sweetest and best iOS device ever used (in the form of a white iPad mini LTE) with the loot. But I heard that idevices are depreciating in value these days. Saturation point and all that stuff, apparently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.