Can't send e-mail using my @me.com account but I can receive them

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by igy4, Sep 24, 2012.

1. igy4 macrumors newbie

I have recently bought a Macbook for the first time and am just getting used to how everything works so sorry for being a newbie!

I am having issues with sending e-mails using my @me.com account! When I open mail from my Macbook Pro desktop and try to create a new message to send, it sits in the outbox and then I get a message saying it can't send at the moment, retry later etc but it won't send.

I am able to receive e-mails at this account so not sure why I can't send e-mails too!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Oh and I'm using the new OS X Mountain Lion if that makes any difference?

2. palmharbor macrumors 6502

I share your concern and problem...it has happened to me multiple times in 10.8. Possible fixes: go to Library and find the com.apple mail
    and trash it and restart. Enter Acccount information again.Make sure your outgoing is: icloud selected and select use only this. AppleMail is a flawed program and needs to be updated Among its problems are:
    unable to delete some emails (am experiencing that today) unable to control a, select all junk and delete anymore.
    Make sure your email to address is accurate. If this does not work, call AppleCare if U have that service. Apple is more interested in us posting more pics to Facebook, share stuff with your Apple phone (you do have one don't U?) and iPad...I am sure we all have one!!Basic applications are of not much concern.

3. igy4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Again I'm being useless but when you say go to library, where would I find that, I clearly need an idiots step by step guide to this!

It is so frustrating, I can log into iCloud.com and send e-mail from my @me.com account but when I click on the mail icon on my desktop it won't send and I don't know why as it receives mail fine!

4. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Do you have the smtp server configured? If not, that would explain why you can receive but not send. Do you have any other accounts set up on the Mac?

5. palmharbor macrumors 6502

With applications quit..not running. Find "go" pull down menu
    on upper left. pull down menu and hold down option key..Library
    will pop up in that menu, then select and go to preferences.
    Find com.apple.mail...drag it and put into trash, restart

6. igy4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure. When I go into preferences and click accounts I only have one account listed on the left which says iCloud IMAP, all the details in there are correct for e-mail address, password etc.

The outgoing mail server (SMTP) field has a drop down menu which lets me select either iCloud (currently selected) or hotmail. The use only this serve is ticked for iCloud. Does that mean it is configured?

----------

Did all of this but there is no com.apple.mail file in the folder in which to drag to the trash!

7. dangerfish macrumors 6502

It sounds like it is configured. Try unchecking the "use only this server" box. This should allow you to select a different smtp server when composing and sending a new email via a drop down box in the compose window. Try sending an email with your hotmail smtp server and see if that works. If it does, then it means that something is configured incorrectly with your iCloud server.

8. palmharbor macrumors 6502

help

If U still have apple care call them
    If U do not have it see if U can buy the extension of time of apple care