Can't send HD video via MMS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cly88, Jan 23, 2011.

1. cly88 macrumors newbie

Yesterday I shot a short video with my iPhone 4, then sent it to my wife's iPhone 4 via MMS. However, the video shows up cropped on her phone instead of in 720p. Is HD too much data to transfer via MMS so it has to crop it?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yes. MMS has a very low data allowance. It will compress photos too before sending.

3. infowarfare macrumors 6502

When you say "cropped" can you show us an example of the actual video? Did you record it with the iPhone in portrait mode or landscape? I ask because I am amazed at how many people still shoot video on their iPhone in Portrait mode and then wonder why it is "cropped". Just wondering if you did the same...

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Send it thru email next time.
    Carriers shrink, crop, resize and downgrade the quality of MMS messages so it can save on bandwith and download and send times.
    Its something that's done automaticly thru AT&T's servers and all carriers do the same. You will never be able to send HD 720p or good quality video messages thru MMS.

5. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

MMS is outdated tech that needs to go honestly. Save fore a picture being send here and there, it's useless. Personally, I have sent maybe one or two picture messages. Neither of which panned out because they are of horrible quality when they show up on the other end.

That's why I never understood the fuss about iPhone not having MMS to begin with. Why bother. You have email, Flickr, MobileMe, Dropbox and numerous other alternatives that allow you to have FULL resolution and quality.

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

You're better off emailing it, GMail allows uptil 25MB I believe. MMS is outdated as mentioned by poster above me... they should either increase the limit or just remove it.