Can't set contact specific ringtones

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 1984world, Jul 9, 2011.

1. 1984world macrumors 6502

1984world

Hello,

I have a 3gs and my wife just got the 4. For whatever reason, I can't get our phones to play a specific ringtone when a contact calls. Phones both show that ringtone is set for contacts, but when they call (tried numerous times), it always goes to the default ringtone.

any suggestions?

2. 1984world thread starter macrumors 6502

1984world

Still trying to set a specific ringtone. Have tried the stock ones, and the made ones. They will all work if they are set as default. But still will not work for a specific contact. I've uninstalled and reinstalled itunes. The 3gs was jailed previously, but the iphone 4 has not been. The 3gs is with Rogers (GSM) and the 4 is with MTS (CDMA). Any suggestions?

3. Eluded macrumors newbie

Eluded

You can try the following that I found using google.

In some cases, this issue may be due to a number mismatch -- the number is stored on way on your iPhone but comes in using a different format. For instance, if you have the number stored in full international format, but it comes in as a local number, the correct ringtone may not play.

In other cases, the fix is simple: On your iPhone, navigate to Settings, then General, then Reset, then "Reset All Settings". Note that this will erase your voicemail password and other stored data.

Failing that, some users have found success with deleting the contact to which the ringtone is assigned, recreating the contact, then assigning the ringtone again.