Can't set icon on smb share, possibly linked to .apdisk file?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by roliath, Aug 1, 2010.

1. roliath macrumors regular

roliath

Well I have a weird one, I am able to change all my icons to anything I choose EXCEPT for a network share I have called "tv".

I have admin access on both the windows box its being shared from plus my macbook pro. However when I change change the icon (trust me i've tried a few different ways) it never updates to reflect the new icon.
    I've ran Oynx, I've repaired perm's, verified disk, etc...
    The one thing i've noticed is that all of my smb shares have the following hidden files.
    TV First
    [​IMG]

Another SMB share that has more hidden files than TV does, could this be my issue? Perhaps OS X is missing a system file or something?
    [​IMG]

Google has been useless trying to find out what an .apdisk file is or how it was created or how to even recreate it. But as you can see, the .icns is successfully copied over to the .smb share only the icon isn't changing.

This definitely has me scratching my head as to why this isn't updating and I could definitely use some help on this. Thanks!

2. roliath thread starter macrumors regular

roliath

3. ffakr macrumors 6502a

might as well follow up

I know.. dead thread.. but I was just looking for .apdisk info as well and there isn't much out there.
    So.. for the next guy..

From what little I've found so far, .apdisk is a hidden file that OS X boxes create on SMB shares. I've been supporting Macs for a long time in higher ed and I don't recall running across one before.

I've seen one other site claim it contains information that, from their description, seems very similar to what you'd see in a .DS_Store file. The .apdisk data is specific to smb shares though. From what I've seen so far, possibly only Windows SMB shares.

typically, you can rely on the filesharing protocol to deal with the details. Your Finder doesn't need to know how Windows keeps track of icon locations or last list-view sort order on an NTFS volume. The Finder 'speaks SMB' and the SMB server running on the Windows box translates to the underlying filesystem. I'm not sure what a Mac thinks it needs to know about an SMB share, on top of what it would already write into .DS_Store but the explanation seems plausible regardless.

The important bits..
    Assuming what I've found is correct,...
    - you can trash .apdisk files. Like .DS_Store files, they'll just get recreated
    - they'll potentially cause problems if they get corrupted, like a bad .DS_Store file can. If you're having "General Mac Wierdness" issues with a directory on a Win share, blowing these away is a good place to start [I'd recommend dismounting, deleting from the server, then reconnect to the share to test].