Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mojo67821

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
Under "color quality" in windows display properties, my only option is 16 bit. And it won't let me raise my resolution above 640 by 480. Any suggestions?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
More explanation needed.

Are you runing XP
Are you running Vista

Have you installed mac driver from bootcamp

Mojo67821

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
Well, this is actually on My Dell. Ironically windows on my MBP is running fine.

I wanted to reinstall the OS. So I wiped the drive on my Dell Desktop, reformatted, and installed. The resolution is messed up. It's like I have no options at all.

I used a newer install CD that I had. Instead now, I'm trying to reinstall the original OS disc from when I bought the computer, to see if that helps. Currently reformatting :confused:

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
Either way, it sounds like Windows is only letting you use the default settings as no drivers are installed.

If you're using bootcamp, get the drivers from your CD that your burned. If just a normal windows machine...try and locate the drivers!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Sounds like you're missing a driver for your video card. You did reinstall the drivers after reinstalling Windows, right?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yeah, if that doesn't help, go on Dell's website and download the latest graphics card drivers and monitor display profile / driver too, if possible, that match your hardware. (The monitor profile is a .inf file that will make sure that you get the resolution and frequency options you are supposed to for the monitor, given that the graphics card can support them, so it is best to get both.)

Mojo67821

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
yellow said:
Sounds like you're missing a driver for your video card. You did reinstall the drivers after reinstalling Windows, right?

Ha... no I didn't. I'm very new to reinstalling OS's. Should they be on one of the backup Cd's my computer came with?

Mojo67821

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
crap... I wish I had known that before I reformatted the drive again. Now I have to sit through another windows install!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Mojo67821 said:
Ha... no I didn't. I'm very new to reinstalling OS's. Should they be on one of the backup Cd's my computer came with?

There should have been a resource CD that came with the Dell that you can install all the proper drivers from. As mohan said above, you can also hit the Dell website and download all the requisite drivers that you need. Of course, that MAY not work if you have no networking drivers.. :eek:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
hold on is it a NEW dell? A lot of new dells come with System Restore on a special hidden partiton of the main drive, which you can start by pressing F12 i think, google check that, but basically its a fantastic tool which basically restores your HD to the waay you got it when you first booted up.

Mojo67821

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
yellow said:
There should have been a resource CD that came with the Dell that you can install all the proper drivers from. As mohan said above, you can also hit the Dell website and download all the requisite drivers that you need. Of course, that MAY not work if you have no networking drivers.. :eek:

I do have a couple of CD's that seem to have system stuff on them. Once I finish with the windows install I'll give those a run.

34 minutes to go... :(

Mojo67821

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
neither of the Dell CD's did ANYTHING, and I can't get on the internet from the comp. I'm stuck now.

Edit: I'm trying to use my MBP to search through the Dell website for drivers. It's impossible to find any type of help on that site, not to mention the fact that I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing.

How can this be so difficult?

Mojo67821

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
Using the Dell handbook I was able to figure out exactly which drivers are missing/not working properly:

Ethernet Controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
SM Bus Controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Anyone know where I can find these?

And once I find them, can I use my thumbdrive to get them onto my Dell and install them?

Mojo67821

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
I just got help from a Dell representative via a chat window. He pointed me in the direction of the necessary drivers.

I am extremely impressed with how helpful he was.

I apologize for anyone here for my incessant posts on this topic today, but it's been a very frustrating day :(

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
Out of interest, have you got a mac or are you forced to use PC's? I share your pain...We have to use a PC at home for some special software! The amount of times I have to install the OS is amazing - and each time I forget how to find things like drivers! Modems are the worst, thank god we're in a broadband age!

Mojo67821

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
Maxiseller said:
Out of interest, have you got a mac or are you forced to use PC's? I share your pain...We have to use a PC at home for some special software! The amount of times I have to install the OS is amazing - and each time I forget how to find things like drivers! Modems are the worst, thank god we're in a broadband age!

I just recently bought a MacBookPro. Around the same time, my 2 year old Dell desktop PC (I'm a new Mac user) started to crap the bed... totally become useless. So while I was on vacation this week I thought I'd take a day and re-install windows... I had no idea how much of a pain in the ass it is.

Worst thing is, my cd was Service Pack 1 and before I could update it to SP2 I got some malware... frigging windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.