Can't set up new install with wireless keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rjdelb, Dec 12, 2015.

1. rjdelb macrumors newbie

Help!

I just bought a used unibody Mac Mini, and the previous owner wiped the unit and did a fresh install of El Capitan prior to me buying it. So when I power it up, it wants to walk through the first time setup process.
    The problem is, I have a apple wireless keyboard, and it appears the bluetooth on the mac may not be on, as the keyboard is not being found (yes it has fresh batteries and is "discoverable").
    So....It will not let me get passed setting up a main user, as that requires text input from the keyboard.

How do I get the Mac to look for the keyboard upon startup? Help!

2. rjdelb thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Make sure you have nothing attached to any of the USB ports then try again. A new Mac will detect and offer to connect a BT keyboard and mouse like you are trying to do here. If yours won't connect, there may be something broken... but new Macs get setup exactly like you are doing yours over BT all the time.

4. rjdelb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I guess there was something wrong, as I tried that several times. Anyway, I borrowed a USB keyboard, finished Setup Assistant, enabled Bluetooth, paired the wireless keyboard, and all is OK now.