Can't setup Exchange via iOS, but can via OS X

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by tarryweather, Oct 18, 2012.

1. tarryweather macrumors member

I'm trying to connect to my Exchange account via OS X, but nothing seems to be working. It keeps saying "Unable to verify account information". I tried following the help wizard, but even when it leads me to get the POP server, it's just listed as "Not available". So it would seem the server is set up to not allow Exchange syncing. But on the other hand, I do have it set up and working fine via Mountain Lion. Is there any reason this shouldn't be working?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

To sync via iOS the Exchange server needs to have "Active Sync" enabled. That's one possible reason it's not working.

If Active Sync is enabled, the settings you would use for Mac Mail are quite possibly different than the ones for your iPhone.

What does your IT person say?

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

IIRC, computers and mobile devices use two different services to sync. Mobiles use ActiveSync, which can be enabled/disabled on the server end separately from the Exchange piece that computers use.

4. takeshi74, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

What mail client are you using and how are you attempting to set it up? As stated above, using ActiveSync settings (the ones you use for IOS devices) won't work. Which version of Exchange are you on? Details are important in requests for assistance like this.

That's because a POP server isn't relevant to Exchange unless your Exchange admin has granted POP access -- which is very unusual in my experience.

What version of OSX is it not working on? Again, details...

If you're having problems setting it up on your Mac then why is this in the IOS 5 subforum?

5. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

And

I'd also look at what Exchange Server is being run: 2003? 2007? etc?

Lots of companies including mine still run 2003 but it makes running some apps difficult or impossible.

6. jpix55 macrumors member

Sometimes you need to fill in the "domain" box even though it says optional. You'll have to contact your IT guy to find out what you should type for "domain."