Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NightLord

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
I'm using a third party usb wifi dongle from Realtek to be able to use wireless networking on my mini, which I decided to get sans wireless (Yep, very daft), but now, when I want to listen to iTunes on the PC downstairs, which I used to be able to do, I can't, and iTunes is still set to share music, but it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
I'm not very familiar with dongles, but I've had that problem with my built in airport and even eithernet on both PCs and Macs. Usually its just a case of giving everybody (computers in question + router a restart).

Are you saying you have used this dongle to stream music before? Or the mini's built in LAN jack? If you have used the dongle before the above solution should be helpful, otherwise it might be something wierd with the actual dongle.

Does an airport icon appear on the top menu bar when the dongle is plugged in?

Like I said, I'm not very familiar with dogles, be them wireless, bluetooth, or whatever. I whish you the best, however, and I hope my humble suggestions help.

NightLord

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
Nope, no airport symbol in the top corner, it uses its own drivers to connect and such, and I shared music using the built in ethernet port.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Well if it uses its own drivers there's a chance it simply doesn't support iTunes streaming. Can use it for IM programs or other internet enabled applications? Perhaps you could see if it will stream music from the PC.

I don't know anything about this particular thirdy-party device or its drivers so I can't be of much more help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.