can't share my scanner in Snow Leopard 10.6.2

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lindsayanng, Dec 8, 2009.

1. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I know that snow leopard was supposed to make scanner sharing easier, but this just isn't happening for me!! Its really odd.

I have two imacs (24" and 27" brand new one). The scanner is hooked up to the 27" imac and both computers are running 10.6.2

The 24 is networked to the 27. We share files and can share printers. I have had no problem with me printing to his computer and him printing to mine.

We also can both move files back and forth to each other without an issue.

We have opened the system preferences on the 27" imac and selected "scanner sharing" and then we can see the scanner that is hooked to that computer and selected it. Then we closed the lock icon to keep it that way. The preferences should be all set.

HOWEVER, i still can not import from the scanner and can not see the scanner from my computer.

ALSO, when we open IMAGE CAPTURE on the computer that is directly connected to that scanner, I can see the scanner under devices, but it does not show under shared devices.

It used to be that you can set the sharing in the image caputer program - apparently now you can not.. but in trying to make it easier, it seems something got lost.

WHATS GOING ON?? Any help please.. I just read through three pages of google results when searching this forum and nothing.. just a load of threads saying that Snow Leopard CAN, in fact, share a scanner..

2. ben.taylor macrumors newbie

Same with HP C4200

I have an HP Photosmart C4200 running on my Macbook Pro. It works as a shared printer, but when I enable scanner sharing, the next time I load up System Preferences the option has been unchecked.

3. cecil444 macrumors newbie

Same problem

:mad: Scanner sharing inexplicably turns itself off. I close system preferences, then reopen them, and the box is unchecked. And also, oddly, when I recheck the box the printer doesn't reappear (although viewing printer info in the Print & Fax Preference pane tells me that it does scan and asks if I want to enable scanner sharing). Each time I check the box and close out of System Preferences, the networked scanning stops working and I go back to check the preferences and the box is suddenly unchecked....bizarre.

Anyone know what the issue is?

My printer is an HP Officejet 5610 All-In-One if that helps...

4. koter84 macrumors newbie

i have a brother dcp-750 printer/scanner and on my 10.6.6 mac the sharing also inexplicably turns itself off after changing to another printer or closing the options page

5. imikemac macrumors newbie

Same problem with hp c309g-m

I've got the same problem with an hp c309g-m...

Scanning seems to cut out intermittently as well...