Can't shut down or restart OS X 10.3

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cashel, Jun 13, 2008.

1. cashel macrumors member

This has been randomly occurring ever since I installed leopard. It doesn't happen very often, but lately it's been happening more and more often. I'll try and restart or shutdown OS X and it will hang. After awhile it will give me an error saying that the restart/shutdown was halted by a program not closing (always the last program to close). The problem is that the programs it halts on have already been closed and there is no listing of them on the Activity Monitor or the Force Quit menu. I've tried repairing permissions but it doesn't change anything. The only way to shut down my MBP is to hold down the power button. What can I do to fix this?

edit: I' also having some other problems that may be related.
    1. I've got a lock icon on the menu bar I use to lock my computer when I'm away from it. Sometimes clicking that lock won't do anything, it won't lock the computer, it just does nothing.

2. Also, I'll close the lid on my MBP, and when I open it back up, the login screen won't always come up. I'm left with a black screen and a pointer. I have to close the lid and open it again to have it pop up.

2. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Did you do a clean install of Leopard? If not, I would recommend backing up all your files and doing an erase and install of the OS. The easiest way is Time Machine if it's working. Then when your reinstall it asks if you want to put your user folders back on the computer.

3. cashel thread starter macrumors member

Yes I did a clean install of leopard, but this was months ago, when Leopard first came out. I have been updating since though. I'd *really* rather not reformat at this point. I don't have an external drive and don't have TimeMachine setup either. Reformatting regularly was something I'd hoped I'd leave behind on my windows machine lol.

4. Annngel macrumors regular

So there's no freakin' cure for this? I'm having the same ****.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

6. Annngel macrumors regular

Stop being such a egoistic pig.

What does the guide got to do with this problem?

How can we reinstall the system folders of the mac without reformating?

7. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Have you run Repair Disk in Disk Utility? Boot from your System install disk and run Disk Utility. You can also toss the com.apple.finder.plist file, then reboot, that solved a lot of similar problems back in the early days of OS X. Can't hurt.

8. Annngel macrumors regular

what if i toss the com.apple.finder.plist file
    what will happened?
    The system files will be brand new?

9. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Nothing serious, it used to be that the finder.plist broke and restart/shutdowns never finished. The plist among other things keeps track of your carefully positioned desktop files...:D The file is vulnerable because of the number of times it gets modified during the course of normal computer usage. However, it seems to be better in Tiger and Leopard. It is completely harmless to toss it, leave it in your Trash, restart. The Mac will create a new one, if you hate what happened, swap them out, restart again.

10. Annngel macrumors regular

Any ways to replace those system folders without reformating?

11. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Yes, do an Archive & Install from your System CD. It is the default setting, no need to reformat unless you absolutely have to.

12. Annngel macrumors regular

that means my photos and music will not be gone correct?

13. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

14. Annngel macrumors regular

15. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Which settings are you concerned about? Printers will have to be re-established, wireless points too, but most everything else gets remembered.