Can't shutdown the correct way or install software updates

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by italiano40, Dec 6, 2008.

1. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

is their a fix or someone have a fix where the finder doesn't crash on me
    and it allows me to shutdown correctly

2. SWLinPHX macrumors regular

SWLinPHX

There are a number of possible reasons and fixes, but you would need to provide a lot more detail of your computer, system, what you were doing when it happened, exactly what happens, error messages, etc, etc, etc.

3. italiano40 thread starter macrumors 65816

italiano40

it is the finder won't quit when shutting down, it stays the logout process has timed out

4. SWLinPHX macrumors regular

SWLinPHX

Usually that happens when there is another program running (visibly or invisibly in the background) that is unable to be quit. Does it specifically say it is the Finder that won't quit or is it just that it times out and all you can see is the Finder? There still may be something else it is running or having problems with. Do you have anything attached directly or wirelessly that may be holding it up or do you have any programs that launch invisibly that may be doing this (as in System Preferences Login Items)? Finally, when you Force Quit does it restart, and is the Finder the only thing that shows as active in the Force Quit dialog?

5. italiano40 thread starter macrumors 65816

italiano40

it says finder with nothing but the power cord connected

6. SWLinPHX macrumors regular

SWLinPHX

The only thing I can suggest from this angle is to force Relaunch the Finder if necessary and boot up from the original CD and use Disk Utility to run a disk repair on the startup drive. Other great programs I use are Disk Warrior from Alsoft and TechTool Pro from Micromat, both of which you can boot up in if necessary. Of course, if worse comes to worse you can just do a clean install or an Archive & Install where only the System folder is replaced, then run off of that and see if you still have problems. I still wouldn't disregard the idea that something is running inivisibly that one quit, but these (among others) are steps I would take depending on the situation. Hope some of this helps!

7. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

10.5 does this to me all the time. Quit all apps and open Terminal:
    Code:
    Shutdown -h now

8. SWLinPHX macrumors regular

SWLinPHX

I'm about to start using Leopard. Are you saying you can expect to do this every time you want to restart or shutdown with 10.5???

9. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

If finder or another process is preventing you from shutting down.