Cant sleep, clown will eat me...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mBox, May 4, 2009.

1. mBox macrumors 68020

Now that I have your attention :)
    I have a MacPro1, 1 here (Dual-Core 3GHz x2 w/2GB) giving us fits.
    It first started with the dual Nvidia 7300GT acting up. We think we have the culprit card removed but Im still seeing some minor display anomalies here and there. With the suspsect card, at start-up the system will not follow thru and basically requires a hard-boot to actually get the log-on screen. This was fixed by removing the suspect card.
    Now the new problem is that when the mac goes to sleep, the system freezes up and has to be hard-booted to get it going again.
    Sure we can just shut that problem off but now Im thinking it might not be the video cards after all.

2. awmazz macrumors 65816

Clowns care the stuff of nightmares...

Have you installed new RAM recently?

3. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

Nope just the stock 2GB that came with it. I have some extra RAM lying around maybe Ill test them.
    At the moment Im re-installing Leopard for the third time on this box.

4. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

5. tobyg macrumors 6502a

I'm with ya there. I can't see how kids would ever like clowns. I don't think I liked clowns as a kid (I don't remember my childhood all that well) and I don't like them now.

Although, I've never worried about a clown eating me, so I can't relate to the OP's issue. But I thought I'd keep the thread on track with the clown thoughts as that is why I came to this thread.

Seriously, why title a thread with something that has nothing to do with anything? The thread title should be something that would catch the eyes of someone who may be best suited to help you. Instead you're going to get people just commenting on your thread title, and the people who could have helped you will ignore this thread.

Good luck.

6. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

haha well thanks for pointing that out. since it is the internet and we all have some kind of free will, I think Ill stick to my original title :) now to make this reply a little more helpful Ill add that the suspect item on my problem is a video card. I cant say for sure if someone else or Apple did this but I received a dual 7300GT system with the cards sitting at slots 3 and 4. I was just told by local mac tech that it should have been at slots 1 and 2. however the one card was dead and gone so its all moot now.
    presently hunting down a 8800GT for a first gen MacPro :)
    Thanks again for your input.

7. remmy macrumors 6502a

Strangely I have no fear of clowns, most people seem to dislike clowns, wonder if there is something wrong?

Also do clowns have nightmares of other clowns?

8. ekoe macrumors member

That sounds like the Mac 'wake from sleep issue'. Some Macs just do it and to my knowledge (which is limited, admittedly) there is no fix.
    My brother-in-laws PowerBook does it and I tried firmware reset, PMU reset, PRAM reset, hardware test, etc... you name it, nothing remedied it.
    Hold on, I think I'm remembering something... maybe it could be a startup item? I'd say to try clearing your startup items in system preferences, they can cause stalled/slow startup. It does sound like the 'wake from sleep' issue to me, though. The solution is to set your Mac to never go to sleep on its own and do a quick restart (ctrl + cmd + eject) whenever you can't wake it from sleep.

9. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

I wish it as that but we've re-installed the OS on this thing numerous times. its one of many MacPro's so its not really hurting us.
    Thanks for the input :)

10. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

11. luv2hum macrumors regular